Author Topic: Newby in Houston  (Read 1355 times)

jillyphish

Newby in Houston
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »
Hello everyone - I'm a brand new member from Houston, Texas.  I have my first batch of cheese (soft lactic cheese) hanging as I type this.  So far it matches descriptions of what it is supposed to look and feel like.  I have wanted to make cheese for quite some time, and got a kit and some books for the holidays.  So, I'm jumping in. Looking forward to reading the forums and learning more from you.  I can't seem to find any cheesemaking supply places in Houston - is my only choice online orders?  Any recommendations for basics such as rennet, cloth, etc.?  I am following suggestions to try a few soft cream cheese types first... after I get a handle on that, any suggestions for a next step?  Thanks for any info - have a great weekend.  Jill

Cheese Head

Re: Newby in Houston
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »
Hi Jill and welcome to this forum! I'm also in Houston, Texas, well west side in Katy.

Good question, I haven't looked in Houston for a cheese making supply store, I've just bought all mine online from a US based webstore. I've made a listing of all suppliers that I've found here. I've also bought a few equipment items and some yogurt culture off of Amazon.com in US. The first key ingredient I needed was rennet and I did find some vegetarian Malaka brand liquid rennet locally in the Richmond Whole Foods Store in the cheese section! Not in another Whole foods store and not in Kroger or HEB grocery stores. If you find anything please let us know.

I also made an Cheesecloth Info Page here, I basically bought a range of materials and tried to find what works best. For hanging you want stronger, for molds you want very thin. For wrapping in aging you want very whispy material. I've made a couple posts in the Equipment-Making Board on a hanging bag I made and one I bought online.

On next cheese making steps, the Cheese Making board is roughly arranged in increasingly complex types, take your pick, where is your interest?

Good luck on your new cheese making adventure!

Anyone else have advice?

Tea

Re: Newby in Houston
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:56:12 PM »
Hi Jill and welcome to the forum.  Hope you have success with the soft cheese. Let us know what you think.

jillyphish

successful first cheese - (lactic cheese)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:46 AM »
I stuck with very simple for my first batch - and made a lactic cheese from Ricki Carroll's Home Cheese Making (the book was part of my Christmas gift).  I started last night and now tonight have gotten 4 cups of yummy, yet very soft, and tangy soft cheese.  I am hoping that it will firm up a bit in the fridge over night, but if not it is still tasty.  I think it would be great in a cheesecake recipe.

I am planning on trying a mozarella soon - though I don't currently have a microwave (it went out recently) - and the stove reheating looks a bit tedious.  We'll see.  Worst case is - throw it out and try again!  I will probably also tackle cottage cheese.  I am definitely the type to try to step up the complexity one step at a time. Eventually, some hard pressed cheese... but not yet.

Thanks for the info so far!
Jill