Author Topic: Greetings from snowy Michigan  (Read 4559 times)

Bruce A

Re: Greetings from snowy Michigan
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
Greetings from Georgia's foot hills;

I'm new to the forum also; but I am pleased to see that so many people are interested it making cheese to old fashioned way ( sort of ). I've read bout your plans to make a home press, sounds good, I've made my own as well ( Dutch style hardwood with an over hung weight system, good luck on that project, it was fun making my own.

Also; read that your intention was to make a cheese like a Colby or an American Cheddar. Those are both rewarding and fun to make, if you can stand the suspense while it ages. Where do you get your recipes from? I got a recipe from a website linked to the Vermont Cheese Counsel, after I scaled it down to a five gallon batch size and tinkered with the times and temperatures, it worked great. Let us know what you make and how it turns out.

I have made several types of cheese for my family and the neighbors, and our pretty much all around first choice is for the simple cooked curd cheeses, like cheddar and the cheddar cousins.

By the way; I'm originally from Michigan also, just a southern transplant now though.

Enjoy your cheese.

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 10:54:19 PM »
Hello Bruce in Georgia (USA?) and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on popularity of your cheeses and cheese making, looking forward to your participation.

FYI there are plenty of Cheese Recipes on the website and a few more in these forums :).

Tea

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 07:48:38 PM »
Good morning Bruce and welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to hearing of your cheese making adventures.

jsbyers

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »
Hi Bruce
And thanks for the input. I got two great books both with a lot of good recipes, as far as I can tell. "Home Cheesemaking" and "Making artisan cheeses".  I've finally got my stuff together and made a cheese press out of PVC and a cutting board and other items I could find.  Will let you know how it works.
 P.S. What part of Michigan were you from?  I love it her, although right now it is extremely cold (about 9 degrees) and a lot of snow. 

cozcoester

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 06:54:02 AM »
Hey JohnnyB, I too am from snowy Michigan, Grand Rapids to be exact.  Lovely weather were having huh.  Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

jillyphish

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
Hi - I'm brand new to cheesemaking and this forum. I'm originally from Michigan (Evart ... very small town in the middle of the lower peninsula) - but have been in Houston Texas for about 20 years (still miss Michigan summers! and sometimes the snow). 

Good luck - and please post your successes and failures - I can see that I have a LOT to learn.  Jill

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
Welcome, Jill.