Author Topic: My first Gouda- so far so good, but still concerned  (Read 1165 times)

moodock

My first Gouda- so far so good, but still concerned
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:10 AM »
Hi all!

This is the third cheese I have made. The first was a stirred-curd cheddar, the second an Edam. Yesterday, I decided to make a Gouda using Likesspace's methodology. I omitted the CaCl since I used raw milk, and the annatto. Otherwise, the procedure was identical. It would be redundant for me to type up his whole recipe, but I will list the differences in ingredients:

4 Gal raw Jersey cow milk
1/8+ tsp. MM100 culture (slightly heaping, used less culture since it is raw milk).
3/4 tsp. veal rennet in 1/4 cold distilled water.

The entire process went well, and I had a 14 minute flocculation time. At 3x, there was a clean break and the curd was cut.I did the pre-pressing in the whey, and the pressing in the hoop. The result before being placed in the brine was a wheel just shy of 5lb (4lb 15.75oz).

I am now letting it air dry. I noticed, however, when I took the cheese out of the brine that it had puffed a bit. I know Gouda has some small eyes in it, and this slight "puffing" happened when I made my Edam as well. I am slightly concerned, but not overly so as this also happened with my Edam. Not all the curd fit into the hoop, so I pressed some in a chevre mold with the same PSI (not weight!). I cut it open today and it had a mild edam flavor, excellent texture, and it made a wonderful addition to a soufflé au fromage.

Am I just worrying too much, or am I on target?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: My first Gouda- so far so good, but still concerned
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:17:58 AM »
Looks on target to me Moodock.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: My first Gouda- so far so good, but still concerned
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
It looks great from here Moodock!