Author Topic: Succesful at aging store bought cheese  (Read 7627 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Succesful at aging store bought cheese
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
I just opened a store bought branded cheese yesterday, to be specific Mclelland Mild cheddar 200 grams. I bought it on Dec. 7, 2009 and the expiry date was Dec. 12, 2009 and production date was Mar. 30, 2009. To my amazement, the flavor of the cheese transformed dramatically. Normally, the Mclelland Mild cheddar is a bitter, sour and boring tasting cheese. But the one that i aged for almost a year, tasted way way better. Even better than the 18 month old branded cheddar that i bought before. I didn't know it was even possible to age a pre cut packaged store bought cheese. I thought the flavor and taste will not develop at all.

By aging it, it became very sweet almost sweet as a candy, a bit salty, moist, no bitterness, it developed a strong cheddar and fruity flavor and absolutely no off flavors. Also aging it was extremely easy and requires no effort all. You dont have to remove molds, maintain humidity, maintain proper temperature and among other things. All i did was put it in the fridge and left it as it is. Also this cheese was stored in the fridge with fluctuating temperature, there are times i even turn off the fridge for a day, making the temp. go up to 70f making the cheese sweat but the temp. is mostly at 50f.

I find it funny that the supermarket where i bought the cheese sell cheeses buy 1 take 1 if its near its expiry date, they dont know that a smei-hard/hard cheese will never spoil as long as its vacuumed packed and refrigerated and it gets better with age. From now on i will stock up on branded semi-hard & hard cheeses and age them myself. This sure beats making your own, its a lot less costly, almost no effort, and guaranteed success  but i will still not stop from making my own cheese because of the challenge.  I hope you guys learns something from my experiment.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:00:22 AM by Aris »

flip.tiffy

Re: Succesful at aging store bought cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »
Late reply but I know of a chef (from my brother who is a chef) who ages store bought vintage cheese here in Oregon. He's aged a cheese as far back as 5 years since the creation of the cheese and has had great luck with flavor.

Thanks for the reminder, I think I might just buy myself a 2 lb. block of vintage white cheddar and age it myself for a couple/few years :)