Author Topic: Cheese - Liquid Smoked & Non-Electrical Smoking  (Read 2718 times)

BigCheese

Cheese - Liquid Smoked & Non-Electrical Smoking
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
2 questions:

I have looked around at threads about liquid smoke but have not seen people get back on and say how their liquid smoke cheese turned out. Anyone?

Secondly. I am off the grid and all the cold smokers I ever hear about use soldering irons or hot plates. I cant use either. Any suggestions? DeejayDebi, enlighten me!

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Cheese - Liquid Smoked & Non-Electrical Smoking
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »
I have been very pleased with my LS cheeses but the real thing does have better flavor.

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »
Thanks Sailor. Did I read from another thread that you use 2t Wrights LS for a 4 gallon batch of Gouda? Mixed into the curds when most whey has been removed?

Gina

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »
What other cheeses besides gouda taste good with LS?

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
There are a couple of cold smokers that, in my opinion, are outstanding...

I use a SmokeDaddy on my rig -- you can read about it here: http://deejaysworld.net/deejayssmokepit/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1271989639

There is also something interesting called the "a-MAZE-en smoker" which is catching on (and I may get one as well) that you can see here: http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Cold smoking isn't all that hard, as I found out... My next foray (when an open weekend presents itself) is gonna be a cold-smoked cured salmon...  Depending on ambient temp, however, this may be delayed until after the summer swelter is over.

-M
--
Michael Dow

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 02:25:33 AM »
Nitai do you have a grill? A soldering iron works well even in a large box or closed grill.  When the weather is cool I use a few charcoal briquettes and lay a chunk of wood on it to smoke but right now it to danged hot outside. There are cold smoke units that you can put into containers that don't get hot at all but I have never used the personally. If you can put the cheese in an enclosed container with a draft I think just getting a chunk of fruit or nut wood smoldering will work best for you. Keep you eyes on the temperature though!

BigCheese

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 02:36:49 AM »
No grill here. I will think of what I can use, but right now I am nodding off at my computer..