Author Topic: AMERICAN NEUFCHATEL TEXTURE  (Read 2661 times)

dthelmers

AMERICAN NEUFCHATEL TEXTURE
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:45:26 PM »
Any ideas on what affects the texture of this cheese? I had one batch that came out with such a creamy texture that it seemed like Mascarpone. I haven't been able to get that texture again. The only difference with that batch was that it got scraped and stirred more frequently, as it was sitting in the kitchen where we were working all day. Could the frequent stirring have made it creamier, or did I just get a really good batch of milk that day?
And what effect on texture would more or less rennet have? I've been using six drops of calf rennet diluted in a half cup of water for a four gallon batch.
Dave in CT

linuxboy

Re: AMERICAN NEUFCHATEL TEXTURE
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:38:29 PM »
Yep, absolutely, stirring is one way to get a creamier texture.

rennet amount and pH at adding rennet all matter. For the style you're making, you're adding rennet right away, correct? Then you need only a minimal amount, 1-2 drops per gallon, just as you have been adding. If you acidified the milk to 6.0-6.2 and then added rennet, it produces a different curd, one that can be firmer without losing a silky texture, provided that you drain at the correct pH of 4.5-4.7.

If you added more rennet at the onset, you would get a firmer more custard-like curd. Using less rennet at the onset would give you a more gentle curd that is more creamy.

dthelmers

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:05:50 PM »
Thanks! I'll try that, and add the rennet at 6.0. Maybe I'll go with 5 drops of rennet, too, as the curd was quite firm. I'll also check the pH and wait to drain at 4.5-4.7 and compare the texture with my other batches. They all come out good, but not as silky as that one batch did.
Thanks for your help!
Dave in CT

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »
I followed that advice, waiting to add my rennet and draining when it went below 5 (using litmus paper, so can't get too exact). The texture is as silky as anything I've ever seen. It took a long time to drain, and never did get really thick, I finally put it into a container when it was no longer shrinking at all, even with scraping the sides and stirring. It's quite delicious, but would be superb if I could get it a bit thicker. Any tips for getting this to drain better or set thicker?
Thanks, Dave in CT

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »
Yes, use more culture/different culture, ripen at 75F, and drain when pH is 4.5-4.55.

If you post your exact make I can modify it to achieve the outcomes you desire. The above suggestions are rather inexact to be repeatable. There are many variables when making lactic and semi lactic curds, and changing them can produce very different outcomes.

dthelmers

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
Here's the make for that last batch:
1 gallon of whole milk, homogenized and pasteurized
2 drops of vegetable rennet in 1/4 cup of water
1/8 teaspoon of Flora Danica

Warmed the milk to 80*f
Added culture
Added rennet at 6.0 app. (using litmus paper. Took 1-1/2 hours)
Kept it at 80*f in a water bath in my electric roaster for 24 hours, at which point it measured 5
Ladled the uncut curd into a cheese cloth lined colander and drained for 24 hours at 50-55*f, stirring periodically.
I did not add salt, as the flavor was pretty mild. I usually add salt at draining; this time I added it after draining. The texture and consistency is like soft serve ice cream on a warm day.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
OK, got it.

Culture for 3-5 hours before adding rennet. You don't really need to mix it in with water for this style, just drop it in and mix.

1/8 tsp FD is about right. Add just a little more if you want

It's your cut pH and method of scooping and draining that are making a difference.

1) pH 5 at scooping is too high, but I think after 24 hours, you should be at the right pH with that culture amount.
2) Lower the temp just a little to increase the curd thickness
3) Ladle using smaller scoops of curd. The larger the curd ladles, the more moist the final cheese
4) Drain either in small molds so the curd presses itself down, or hang the curd to drip down in muslin/pillowcase. If you just let it stay over a colander, it will retain more moisture. This one and scoop size make the biggest difference.

You have it down, it's the small nuances that will make a difference, like hanging to drain, and cutting the curd to finer size.

susanky

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
I've had the same problem with neufchatel texture.  Thanks for the tips Linuxboy!  I'm going to try this too!  (But now one of the cow's has mastitis  :(  Will have to wait)
Susan

dthelmers

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
Thanks, Linuxboy. I'll be getting an Extech for Christmas, and should get better readings; in the meantime I'll culture earlier and let it go for 24 hours. I was using my largest ladle, so I'll correct that. I'll also let it hang, which is what I've always done with my vinegar cheeses. I'll do another batch this weekend and let you all know how it comes out. This cheese should make a nice dessert, maybe something like a trifle, layered with fruit. Thanks for your help!
Dave in CT

dthelmers

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
Following up on this: I've made this 4 or 5 times using the pH meter, and a smaller ladle. It comes out consistently creamy and thick. I used Flora Danica for all but one batch, when I ran out of FD and used cultured buttermilk. FD has better flavor and aroma. This cheese makes a great dip, spread or dessert, Combines well with pie filling - like soft serve ice cream, but not as cold.
Dave in CT