Author Topic: Mozzarella Making From Store Bought Curds - Squeaky  (Read 2248 times)

pingrava

Mozzarella Making From Store Bought Curds - Squeaky
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
Hello-

I've been making fresh mozzarella from curd purchased at my local deli. The cheese they make is wonderful. However, when I make it (and it tastes fine) the problem is the texture - rubbery and it "squeaks" when you chew on it.

I first break up the curds in warm water. Then i drain it and add salt. Then I add very hot water and work the curd until it reaches what I think is the proper constency and then I form it.

What am I doing wrong?

mtncheesemaker

Re: Mozzarella Making From Store Bought Curds - Squeaky
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
When you say "work it", do you mean stretching it and folding it back on itself? How hot is your water?
Have you asked them at the deli how they do it?
I've gotten mine more tender and less squeaky but still haven't gotten that very tender texture yet.
There are lots of discussions about mozzarella on this board if you use the search feature.
Good luck.

pingrava

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:17:31 AM »
Thanks! Yes I strech the curd and fold it over. The water is on a low boil.

I do what the deli guy told me to do. He can't understand it either.

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:07 AM »
Thanks! Yes I strech the curd and fold it over. The water is on a low boil.

I do what the deli guy told me to do. He can't understand it either.

The water boiling temperature is well over 200 degrees F. This appears to be too high for most recipes that I have seen for Mozzarella. Here's link to the one recipe from this very site:
http://cheeseforum.org/Recipes/Recipe_Mozzarella.htm
Item 19 says:
19. Place the curds directly into water that is 170 F / 76.5 C. Don't overheat!!

christianrussell90

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 02:01:52 AM »
200 degrees is very high, I would try around 160 and also check the pH of the curd.