Author Topic: First attempt  (Read 2162 times)

blindside

First attempt
« on: December 25, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »
First attempt at Moz didn't work out not sure why. The end product the curds didn't stick together, they were like crumbs. I heated the milk to 85 degrees or so added the citric acid and lipase powder, got curds and slowly heated it to 105. It got to 105 before I added the rennett. I let it set about 10 mins but it still didn't look anything like I had seen in videos. Anyone have a clue as to what may have gone wrong?
Thanks a lot

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: First attempt
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 08:14:19 AM »
What culture are you using? You shouldn't get curds until you add the rennet and the rennet doesn't like temperatures that high.

Usually what happens is you heat the milk to the correct temp and add the starter, wait a period that the recipe specifies 30min-1 1/2 hour, then add the rennet, then wait more 30min-1 hour. Then check for a clean break and so on.

Where did you get your recipe? Can you post it.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »
I agree with Cartierusm.  We really need the recipe and the step, times, temps, additives etc in the order that you did things, to be able to help troubleshoot.  And even at times, what milk you used, as that can also be a major factor.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »
Woudn't the citric acid act as the coagulant in this case?  Kinda like making cheese with lemon juice.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:19:41 PM »
Yes.