Author Topic: St. Maure Pic  (Read 2939 times)

Brie

St. Maure Pic
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:09:58 AM »
I have been making Humboldt Fog for over a year and finally purchased the St. Maure molds--here you have it! The molds are very difficult to mold cheese in, as they stand at least a foot high (they kept toppling over!). Same recipe as Humboldt (without the layer of ash in the middle), same recipe as Camembert (with the ash surrounding). With such a small circumferance, the St. Maure ages much more quicly than the Cam and the Hummer.

mtncheesemaker

Re: St. Maure Pic
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »
Nice! Where did you get the molds?
Pam

Brie

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:51 AM »
Hi Pam--I purchased them from www.cheesemaking.com

Bishop

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:49 AM »
Nice looking St Maure Brie!

how long did you age this one?

OudeKaas

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:51 PM »
looks fabulous! What are the required aging times, respectively, for the different versions you have made to date?

Brie

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »
This pic was at 6 weeks--I actually liked it better at 4 weeks (with a little chalkiness in the middle. Humboldt is about 12 ounces and still aging--probably ready to eat, but I'm saving it for a party next week. I age them at 80% humidity at 52 degrees. I have moved the Humboldt to regular refer to inhibit further aging.

Oberhasli

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
That cheese looks absolutely delicious!!!!!  :) Do you make your own ash?  How do you ripen that cheese so the sides don't get flat? 

Bonnie

Brie

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:21:20 AM »
I don't make my own ash--I purchased it from cheesemaking.com. To eliminate "flat" sides, make certain that the cheese is well drained. I turned it daily and had no problem.