Author Topic: Humble pie with cultured butter  (Read 4029 times)

MrsKK

Humble pie with cultured butter
« on: December 02, 2010, 03:00:45 PM »
Okay,  not too long ago I said I had no interest in trying cultured butter since my family enjoys the sweet cream butter so much...that said, sometimes I have to try anything once and just this week cultured buttermaking was on my agenda.

I used about 1/2 cup of skimmed milk that I had cultured with buttermilk (see Quick Clabber thread) to 3 quarts of fairly heavy cream (the top cream and only a little of the lighter cream from each gallon of milk when I skimmed).  The cream was cold out of the refrigerator when I added the whisked culture, I covered the jar with a clean cloth and set it on top of the refrigerator for a bit of extra warmth.  I allowed it to set for about 24 hours before making the butter.  Our house ranges from about 58-65 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the day and night hours.

I use my food processor for churning the cream.  Normally, in early lactation, it takes about 3 minutes for the cream to turn.  This cultured stuff turned in about 30 seconds and was done in just over a minute.  I was simply amazed.  The results were wonderful - two pounds of butter from 3 quarts of cream.  Nearly a third more than what I usually get.

When the butter was washed, it no longer tasted tangy like the cultured cream did.  This butter is mostly sweet, but has more complex flavor than sweet cream butter.  Nothing I can quite describe though.

Much quicker make and high yield, good flavor.  This is definitely the method I will use for buttermaking from now onl.

dthelmers

Re: Humble pie with cultured butter
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:11:44 PM »
I use Flora Danica for my buttermilk and butter culture. It's really delicious, and does seem to churn so much faster than sweet cream!
Dave in CT

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:51:07 PM »
Glad you like it!
I was skeptical when I first made it as the cream was kind of "sour", but the butter is delicious. Amazing how that happens!
Pam

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 02:47:30 AM »
Yeah, it seems like all the sour is in the buttermilk, and leaves the butter as you work it. I also found that this butter works out its liquid faster, and seems to have a denser texture. It's not as spreadable, even at room temperature, but the flavor is great. I melted some to brush on blanched asparagus prior to broiling, and it seemed to cling better than sweet cream butter. I haven't yet tried it in baking, but I'll try it soon with shortbread and see how it does.
Dave in CT

tnsven

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
Not sure how I missed this post, Karen.  So how does your family like it? Mine just slathers it on!

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »
My family hasn't tried it yet.  DD rarely uses butter and DH is addicted to "spread" - makes me shudder! 

So, the important part is that I like it and that it is easy for me to make, so I will continue with this method.

I just made another batch yesterday, still loving it.  As I got to the bottom of the jar of cream, though, I decided to use the last three cups to make creme fraiche rather than make it into butter.  I just slathered some of it on potato bread toast and topped it off with some strawberry rhubarb jam.  Wow!