Author Topic: Rennet and Calcium Chloride...long lost lovers or spiteful enemies?  (Read 6632 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
So one of my cheese making books, by Ricki Carrol, says to rebalance out milk that has been past/homo to add calcium chloride, which adds calcium back in or the curds may be too soft.

I use it in every batch of past/homo milk my curds gives a clean break but leaves a little residue on my finger, but after I cut the curds the whey is clean and green tinged the way it's supposed to be.

The problem I have is the book also says that using store bought milk may require twice the amount of rennet, but doesn't say when to use it. The book by the way is a good general book, I have both the original one from 1980, that I've had for years, and the new updated book which is really a poorly edited regurgitated version, but better (editing I refered to is to content not spelling).

So maybe Quinlan can give us an idea or anyone else who knows if I'm using Calcium Chloride for Past/Homo milk should I be adding more rennet than what is required? It seems I'm getting a clean break and the cheese is coming out alright.

Tea

Re: Rennet and Calcium Chloride...long lost lovers or spiteful enemies?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
Well from my exeriements I have found that I definately used more rennet in store bought milk, than fresh.  I usually add anything from .25 ml and up, depending of the quality of the milk, per 10ltrs.

I also add about the same extra when dealing with goats milk too. 

As I usually can get either good store bought or raw milk, I have not invested in any calcium, so I can't tell you it this amount would be different with the addition of calcium.

If you are getting a clean whey, then I would think that your addition rates would be right for the milk that you are using.  If you are uncertain, add extra rennet at small additions and see what difference you are noting, if any.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:51:44 PM »
Yes it seems as though I'm getting a clean break with just a little residue on my finger but after cutter the curds the whey is clear so milkyness to it.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:29:17 AM »
Cartierusm,
It's been my experience that using too much rennet adds an unpleasant bitterness to the cheese.
I normally use double strength vegetable rennet which provides a really nice set, to two gallons of store bought milk, with only using 1/4 tsp. of the rennet.
I do always add 1 tsp of ca/cl to every two gallon batch and I've never really had a problem with getting a satisfactory curd set using this method.
A couple of times I've tried increasing my rennet by the slightest of margins (filling the 1/4 tsp. to the point of overflowing) and each time I've gotten that nasty bitter taste to my cheese.
I would not recommend adding more rennet as long as you are getting what sounds like a really good set in your curd.
Just my opinion.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:16:50 AM »
Likespace where did you get your measurements from for Calcium Chloride? From other websites it's 1/8 tsp. per gallon, so for 2 gallons a 1/4 tsp. Just wondering. I'm a very articulate person so I'm trying to nail down all these inconsistencies in this hobby. I hope to learn and inform other here who want instruction. If this were like some of my other hobbies where it was fast and easy I would just do a study, but milk is not cheap and it's certainly not quick.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »
Likespace is probably using a dilluted Calcium Chloride solution. 

Leener's, for example, sells a 30% solution, that requires .5tsp/gal.

And that is right in line with Likespace's recipe.

Likesspace

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »
Wayne....
You are exactly right. I have been using Leener's recommendation of 1/2 tsp. per gallon.
But now you guys have me thinking....
The last Ca/Cl I bought came from the dairy connection and I've just continued using the same amount. This is a one pint bottle and I did not check the strength as compared to Leeners.
I think I'd better do a little research and see if I'm using too much or too little.
Thanks for the heads up!
Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »
Likesspace, I'm also using CaCl2, also from Dairy Connection and their directions say less so it must be a stronger concentration, at that rate my bottle should last me a few years 8).

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
Next time just buy it from a home brew store a 2 oz. powder is $5 and it makes 16 liquid oz.

Likesspace

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:03:21 PM »
Well here's a kicker....
I grabbed my bottle of Ca/CL which was purchased from the dairy connection, to look for use instructions. The first thing that I noticed is that it's a 30% calcium chloride solution from........LEENERS!
Now I've checked the Leener's website many times and they don't offer a 1 pint bottle of ca/cl. I guess because the Dairy Connection typically supplies commercial makers they are able to purchase this from Leeners for a reduced price.
The 16 oz. bottle I bought was nearly as cheap as a little 1 oz. bottle from Leeners. Go figure.
Anway, I went ahead and used only 1 tsp. for a 5 gallon batch today and did get a good curd. I guess I'll try cutting back on the amount I use on smaller batches due to this finding.
Thanks for bringing this subject up. It gives me something to experiement with that might just possibly bring better results for less cost.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
What kind of milk are you using, Store Bought (Past/Homo)? And what kind of break are you getting, is there a little residue on your finger but after cutting the whey is clear?