Author Topic: Question about Danisco's Culture Product Line  (Read 2386 times)

flip.tiffy

Question about Danisco's Culture Product Line
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:32:43 AM »
I've spent nearly an hour searching this forum trying to find out what "product" lines of Danisco's cultures are used for specific types of cheese, but cannot for the life of me find any clarity!

My main reason for this searching is, I've been using Ricki Carrol's cultures for my cheeses but have noticed that the majority of folks on this forum *seem* to use Danisco's. I would assume this means Danisco's cultures are better and would love to begin culturing my cheeses with Danisco's rather than Ricki Carrol's (sorry, Ricki).

Would anyone be able to steer me towards the different product lines of Danisco's cultures for different cheeses I might be making? (For starters, I'm mainly focusing on Cheddar, Monterrey Jacks and would like to begin Havarti's soon!)

Thanks in advance!

linuxboy

Re: Question about Danisco's Culture Product Line
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:54:44 AM »
Danisco has two major DVI lines for "American" cheeses, the RA, and the MA lines. They also have one in frozen pellet form, IIRC the 800 series

The RA lines come in two major variants, the ra 20-series, and the ra 70-series. They're very similar, but the 70-series work faster, have a faster pH curve.

The MA series are kind of the classic all-purpose acidifier. IMHO, the MA is best for not cheddar/jack/colby, but for farmstead cheeses like tommes. Or for fresher cheeses.

Havarti you could make with either RA or MA series.

Hope that helps.

flip.tiffy

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:08:59 AM »
Thank you much for your input linuxboy, that clarifies things mucho!

flip.tiffy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:20:05 AM »
Would anyone know of a online store that sells Danisco's brand cultures?

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
Sure, can't see on your profile where you are located, but our list of cheese supply stores is here, also we have a review section on supply stores here.