Author Topic: Mozzarella made with milk AND cream? HIGH accidity?  (Read 1831 times)

dalyn

Mozzarella made with milk AND cream? HIGH accidity?
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »
I've made lots of successful mozzarella with 2% milk, and have a had some problems with homo. I'm wondering if i could add some full cream to the 2% to give the cheese a richer, creamier texture and flavor. Is this possible? I don't want to waste the milk if it won't work.
I use citric acid and liquid rennet when making the cheese. Thanks! *dalyn
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:39:19 AM by dalyn »

dalyn

Re: Mozzarella made with milk AND cream? HIGH acidity?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:57:34 AM »
OK, so I did it. It took me forever to get it to work, but it tastes amazing. I'm attaching a lot of pictures below. I was looking at another Mozzarella post today that was having similar problems to mine today. I believe my problems are due to high acidity? Maybe somebody can confirm this. I used 2 teaspoons of citric acid for 1 gallon of milk + 500ml of cream. Anyways, I was ready to throw it all out, but decided to place it in the strainer and left it for 45 minutes to drain. Before this I had heated reheated (microwave 15 - 30 seconds), drained, kneaded etc... over and over again, only ever getting a mushy mass of mush. It would firm up as it cooled, but never get to the point of being able to stretch it it. After leaving it for the 45 minutes I started to see a difference in the consistency (few! wipe of the brow). After 2-3 more heating's it came together perfectly and actually had the best stretch I've ever had with Mozzarella (would this be due to the cream in it?). Anyways... it tastes amazing.

I'd like to know if you guys think the acidity was too high? (getting a ph thingy for christmas) If so, does the PH go down over time (letting it drain longer - cool down)? or from repeated reheating? So much to learn!  *dalyn

OK so lots of pics, but I love it when people post them on here as I find it so helpful!

You can see the butter forming from the whipping cream i added. Made everything quite greasy.

LAME break.

Let it drain for a bit after this, but it didn't work. This is what it looked like after heating it. Grainy mass of s*@t. then left it again for 45 minutes in the strainer, heated it up 2 times and ended up with this lovely stretch!

Spoons

Re: Mozzarella made with milk AND cream? HIGH accidity?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »
Nice stretch at the end! Good job! The key to making cheese is patience. I've been wondering about adding cream to milk in cheese recipes; can it be ultra pasturized? I haven't yet seen any for of cream (light or heavy) that isn't ultra pasturized.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »
Randomly adding extra cream is not a good idea unless a recipe calls for it. That will change the protein to fat P/F ratio and can negatively effect the entire make. For example the curd set will actually be weaker.

dalyn

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
Yes, I'll never do the "add cream" thing again. I did expect problems. Too bad it tasted so good. Of course much creamier. Do you think that 2 teaspoons of citric acid was too much? I've seen recipes with 1 1/4 teaspoons. *d