Author Topic: Store bought Milk  (Read 3068 times)

mikeradio

Store bought Milk
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:13:56 PM »
Hello

Does anyone in BC know which brands of store bought milk will work.

Thank you

Mike

Cheese Head

Re: Store bought Milk
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »
Mike sorry for late reply, I visit Vancouver quite often from Houston and don't see any difference in store bought milk there vs here where I have made lots of milks. Maybe you could describe your past problems and we could help?

Islandchomp

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
Depends on where you're located in BC as well.
For example, where I live on Vancovuer Island, we only have 4 different brands of milk. I try to go with Avalon when I can but it can be pricey (they're the only place to get standard milk but the cheapest I can get it is $3 a litre).

If you live in the more interior region of BC, you can get more of the local farmers. Supposedly there is a really good dairy farm in Kamloops that sells Jersey milk.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »
We are only beginning our Cheesemaking journey, but the first time I used whole Dairyland milk (all we can get in Princeton), it took over 2 hours before we had a clean break and could cut the curds.... Ricki from New England Cheese has a "helpful hint" in her small book that comes with her Cheese Making Kit, where she suggests using Skim or low fat Milk and adding a pint of 36% heavy cream.... We have tried a couple of blends, and have settled on using 8 litres of 2% Milk plus 1 litre of 18% Coffee Cream.... That gives a milk with a butterfat of 3.8%, and the cream wants to float on top, like a cream-line milk, so you need to top stir after adding the rennet.... Now that we are doing that, recipes work the way they are supposed to....  8)

BTW, we tried using Skim Milk and 33% Whipping Cream, same proportions, which gives a butterfat content of 3.7%, but there are additions (gelatins) to the Whipping Cream to make it thicker.... It didn't cause a problem, but I just didn't like that idea, so I changed to the 2% plus Coffee Cream instead.... If we need a low fat milk (eg. for Edam), we can use Skim Milk plus the Coffee Cream, same proportions, and get 2% B.F....

Bob
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:15:31 AM by rsterne »
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!