Coagulation, Rennet - No Clean Break At 2 Hours

Started by GoChick, December 04, 2010, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoChick

Hi!
This is my first try at a hard cheese. Done lots of soft without problems.

I'm using Ricki Carl's recipe for a Monterrey Jack.
Store bought milk, not ultrapasteurized.
I'm using 2 gal milk. Added meso starter 
Added 1/4 tsp CaCl2.
Temp at 90f, per recipe.
Added 1/2 tsp calf rennet, recently bought so age is not a problem.
It shoul have given a clean break after 30 min per recipe but it is still slowly coagulating, 2 h later. Do I continue to wait or is it a lost cause? It seems to be slowly getting harder...
Frustrating...

Appreciate any advice!!

Thanks!!

steffb503

Did you add the meso and then wait for it to ripen before adding the rennet?

Cheese Head

GoChick, some ideas here, can you describe how you added your rennet, and when you say no clean break can you describe the milk's consistancy or attach a picture? A rennet coagulated curd is very soft and fragile.

GoChick

Thanks for the replies!

I added the meso and waited 30 min then the CaCl2 and stirred well, waited 3 min the added 1/2 tsp calf rennet in 1/4 cold cup of water and stirred into the milk for 2 min. Here is a picture of how it is right now:

GoChick

Well... I think I finally got a clean break! It just took me going outside to play with my chickens in the snow and when I came back, voila!

I'm about to cut the curd!

Thanks all!!!

Cheese Head

GoChick

"never give up" it took 4 h to get a clean break but it's looking good! Do bi dubi du

Sailor Con Queso

I gave you a cheese for the Persistence Of The Year Award. Way to hang in there. 8)

KosherBaker

How much time had passed from when you mixed the rennet with the water and until you added that mixture to your milk?

GoChick

I mixed the rennet to the water and poured it right away. I wonder if I should have put the CaCl2 at the same time I put the culture in... Instead, I put the culture, waitd 30 min, then added the CaCl2 and waited only 3 min before adding the rennet...

I also checked Deejay's recipe today for Monterrey Jack, and it says to wait 1h30 min after putting the culture. I think I will try that recipe today!

Anyway, yesterday's Jack are out drying right now, looking OK.

KosherBaker

OK that sounds great. Another thought popped into my head. Have you checked and calibrated your thermometer? Just in case the temperature readings are off.

GoChick

I had two thermometers- one for the water and one for the milk, and I checked the temp with both...

GoChick

My Monterrey Jack turned into two- when all was set and done,  I couldn't fit all in a mold, so I had to improvise- I opened a big can of tomatoes and used the top as a follower-not pretty, but it worked.

I'm now air drying both cheeses, and have a question. Can I vac-bag them once they're dry? Does that work for Monterrey Jacks? Or do I have to wax them? Thanks!

Sailor Con Queso

Let them air dry at room temp for 3-4 days. Move to your cave, let them completely dry, then rub with a very light coat of olive oil or vinegar/brine. Repeat rub as necessary to prevent drying. Age for a month. THEN vac bag.