Author Topic: Hello From Montreal, Quebec, Canada!!  (Read 2314 times)

caciocavallo

Hello From Montreal, Quebec, Canada!!
« on: December 26, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am from Montreal and have been making cheese for the past 6 years with my parents. I have kind of taken over the tradition. They have been making cheese for well over 20 years.

They make hard cheeses but since I have been involved we have been trying different recipes with most of them being successful.

My latest has been Cacciocavallo which I had not been able to make successfully for the past couple of years. Even after reading books and trying many different recipes from the cheese making online community. Was always missing something. Either my curd did not "stretch" or it went sour. Well not anymore, last week I had a friend of my uncles show me how to make it. It was a great experience (will have to have show me again since he did this from experience, no temperature gauge just feel with his fingers if you know what I mean).

I have attached some pics. (hope it works)

Enjoy your forum and appreciate all the info you are all sharing. I hope to do the same.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Giovanni

Cheese Head

Re: Hello From Montreal, Quebec, Canada!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:51:55 PM »
Hello Giovanni in Montreal and welcome to the forum, great pictures and very much looking forward to your input & advice as I'm still less than 1 year making cheese!

I'm also the webmaster, but particpate as Cheese Head, any advice, changes to the website or forum just send me a message. I live in Houston Texas, but grew up in Vancouver Canada eh.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:03:47 AM »
PS: I've never had Caciocavallo Cheese but thought it was very interesting when I saw a Sabuto Brand smoked one in Vancouver last New Years and made a webpage on it here. Anything to add/correct let me know :).

caciocavallo

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »
Pretty well describes it.

Aging is normally 2-3months but it is eaten fresh as well.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:50:54 AM »
Ah...memories of coke filled condoms...or are those bags of cheese hanging?

Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »
Good morning Caciocavallo and welcome to the forum.  Those cheese look very impressive.  I am very interested in them.  Have been trying to perfect the moz/provolone/boconccini range of cheeses, so that one of yours has piqued my interest.
Hope you can join in and share.