Author Topic: Beer soaked/sprayed/washed cam? Does any one has any idea how to?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline vertlook

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Hi all,
when we were in Paris we ate this Camembert, which according to the sales lady was soaked/washed with a beer.
That was the most amazing cheese I have ever tried!
Now, searched everywhere but so far was unable to find any info on how exactly to do it. At what stage do you do it?
What type of beer do I need to use? Can I use wine instead?
Any info is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Cheese Head

Re: Beer soaked/sprayed/washed cam? Does any one has any idea how to?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
vertlook, I haven't made beer washed camembert but I did wash a couple of bloomy lactic acid cheeses with beer once, also look for some of member Alex's posts. I also asked a similar question but no answers, presumably as I did it right :).

Offline vertlook

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »
Thank you John,
so I guess I will dunk it in a beer after the white mold has appeared, probably once a day for a few days, then let it dry in a cave and then wrap.

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:28:31 AM »
Did it appear that the mold was grown over the soaked cheese or was the PC stained? I read another recipe that suggests soaking the cam in alcohol for a few hours before serving. This would impart a much stronger beer flavor. But of done early on I would suspect the cheese to have discoloration and the mold to be white, leaving a milder beer flavor. I actually already had this on my list to try with a Belgian strawberry beer I found. Haven't done it yet.

Offline vertlook

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:16 AM »
Did it appear that the mold was grown over the soaked cheese or was the PC stained? I read another recipe that suggests soaking the cam in alcohol for a few hours before serving. This would impart a much stronger beer flavor. But of done early on I would suspect the cheese to have discoloration and the mold to be white, leaving a milder beer flavor. I actually already had this on my list to try with a Belgian strawberry beer I found. Haven't done it yet.

I believe the mold was not stained, probably meaning that it was soaked before the mold formation.