Author Topic: Hello from chilly England  (Read 1471 times)

Ma Scarpone

Hello from chilly England
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:53:36 PM »
Hello, I am a newbie to cheese making  :) So far I have made some soft goats cheese which turned out to have the texture of philadelphia.  It went down very well and I have been asked to make more for Christmas!  However, I really want to make a firmer, sharper chevre, plus mozzarella (I can get buffalo milk) and feta.  If I manage these OK then I want to move onto some traditional English/Welsh cheeses like Wenslydale and Caerphilly, even though I don't live in these regions :o  Anyway, I am amazed at the detail on this board and am looking forward to learning more and practising more  8)

tananaBrian

Re: Hello from chilly England
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »
I'm a newbie as well, and I welcome you to our ranks!  My impression about this board is that it is all good ...all friendly, lots of knowledge, no reason not to ask 'dumb' questions.  Enjoy!

Brian

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »
welcome to the forum to both of you

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:34:43 PM »
Howdy Ma, welcome!

Buffalo milk in England, that's a surprise to me, and cold is a relative thing, I'm sure all our Ozzie and Kiwi members think it's hot right now!

Have fun rooting around these boards and the website articles.

Ma Scarpone

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
TBH buffalo milk is pretty rare in the UK, but it just so happens that Jody Schekter (the racing driver) bought a large estate near where my mother lives.  He keeps all sorts of rare breed sheep/pigs/hens/beef etc etc, has his own brewery and abbatoir and he keeps buffalo.  So you get a shock driving along the country lanes round her way ;D  I can buy the milk & icecream, plus buffalo meat (quite keen on buffalo burgers!) I find the milk is very rich indeed.  I live near an artisan herd of ayrshire and guernsey cows and the farmer makes the best cream in the whole world (not that I'm biased!) so I intend making something with his milk too.

KosherBaker

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 04:55:07 AM »
Wow, what a location.  8) Green with envy here. :)

Welcome to the board.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
TBH buffalo milk is pretty rare in the UK, but it just so happens that Jody Schekter (the racing driver) bought a large estate near where my mother lives.  He keeps all sorts of rare breed sheep/pigs/hens/beef etc etc, has his own brewery and abbatoir and he keeps buffalo.  So you get a shock driving along the country lanes round her way ;D  I can buy the milk & icecream, plus buffalo meat (quite keen on buffalo burgers!) I find the milk is very rich indeed.  I live near an artisan herd of ayrshire and guernsey cows and the farmer makes the best cream in the whole world (not that I'm biased!) so I intend making something with his milk too.
Welcome to the forum, Ma. Shucks, John, I wanted to say "Howdy, Ma!"

I too am very envious.

Looking forward to your adventures in cheesemaking. Do you have any idea how many buffalo in the herd? Are they bison, cape buffalo, or ...?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »
Hello from across the pond, Ma.  Spent some of the best days of my life touring your beautiful country with my wife - Cotswolds (our time in this idyll was close to 11 years ago.  Our lad is now 10.  You do the, ahem, math), all the way up to Stoke on Trent.

Largely a brewery tour, and, uh, brewery partaking.  As I am and have long been a deep lover of Western European history (at Berkeley, once did a pretty substantial analysis of your Alfred the Great's contribution to modernity, a kind of "proto-nationalism"), some pretty wonderful moments standing on the original battlement of Warwick Castle, 1068.  Then drinking with some local lads later.

I reminisce.  At any rate, as a new member, not much gravitas to add, but all the good cheer in the world.  Best of luck in all your ventures,

Paul
- Paul

FarmerJd

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum.