Author Topic: Storing Large Manufactured Cheeses  (Read 2204 times)

Buck47

Storing Large Manufactured Cheeses
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »
Purchased these three cheeses this weekend for $2.00 a pound.

Would like to store them in my cheese cave ( Temp 52.6 - RH 88% )

I don't have Vacuum equipment so must use a traditional style rind treatment.

I have - cheese wax, salt, olive oil, cheese cloth and a jar of Yellow Cream Wax Cheese Coating.

The ten pound round cheddar can be left in the factory plastic coating.

The rectangular size chunk is some kind of soft, meltable mild tasting cheese. (Asking for advise on this one)

The cheese in the round tube has morel mushrooms & leeks added. Want to cut this up in rounds aprox. 2 inches high. ( Asking advise on how to store this one also)

Thanks in advance for you help.  Regards: john
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:17:16 PM by Buck47 »

Cheese Head

Re: Storing Large Manufactured Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
Good thing you said 10 lb for the cheddar otherwise I'd have assumed they were smaller. $2/lb, not even worth making it! From the label on the wheel I assume these are artisan made?

Hmm, manufactured plastic wrapped cheeses are often N2 flushed and closed with a heavy duty staple. Your cheddar wheel doesn't appear to have that staple so it looks like it is shrink or vacuum wrapped, either way, as you say, it should be fine for long term aging.

The loaf looks like has also been shrink or vaccum wrapped but presumably was unpacked to divide up, my vote is to oil it several times or wax it.

The tube, which I'm guessing is also 10 lbs, I don't think will age that long with mushrooms and leeks added, I wouldn't open that until you are ready to consume a chunk and then divide it like you say and give it away or put some in bags in bottom coldest drawer of fridge for to slow it's ripening down.

FYI there was a guy on here couple years ago with a manufactured 45 lb cheddar wondering how to divide it.

Buck47

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »
Good thing you said 10 lb for the cheddar otherwise I'd have assumed they were smaller. $2/lb, not even worth making it! From the label on the wheel I assume these are artisan made?

Thanks John for the information. Most helpfull.
The round one is about 10lbs. I don't think these are artisan made. I purchased these from an Amish store that's just down the road. The cheese is from Wisc. Mostly she gets Cheddar and whats called a "Farmer Cheese" Comes in a cardboard box aprox. 24''L x 10''W x 12"H - weight around 40 - 50 pounds. Vaccum Plastic wrapped. Have never seen a staple like is shown in the link you provided.

What I purchased is some extras she got along with her regular order. My guess is they are seconds.

Hmm, manufactured plastic wrapped cheeses are often N2 flushed and closed with a heavy duty staple. Your cheddar wheel doesn't appear to have that staple so it looks like it is shrink or vacuum wrapped, either way, as you say, it should be fine for long term aging.

Good news - I  think it is Vacuum Wrapped not shrink wrapped, but not N2 flushed - no staple.  Will put the cheddar back in the cave just the way it is.

The loaf looks like has also been shrink or vaccum wrapped but presumably was unpacked to divide up, my vote is to oil it several times or wax it.

Yes it was plastic wrapped. We unwrapped it and cut off a chunk. I like it on pizza and in Scalloped Potatoes. It's a soft cheese - not hard like cheddar. I'll check out post on how to oil a cheese.

The tube, which I'm guessing is also 10 lbs, I don't think will age that long with mushrooms and leeks added, I wouldn't open that until you are ready to consume a chunk and then divide it like you say and give it away or put some in bags in bottom coldest drawer of fridge for to slow it's ripening down.

Good point about the mushrooms & leeks. I'll just put that in the fridge.

FYI there was a guy on here couple years ago with a manufactured 45 lb cheddar wondering how to divide it.

John that sounds like a joke. "Say did you hear the one about the guy with a 45 lbs Cheddar Cheese?

Answer:  No. But did you hear the one about the Rabbi, a Priest and a Baptist minister In a boat with a 45 lbs Cheddar cheese?

Oh! Man --- Them "Old cheese" jokes are the best !! ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:30:30 AM by Buck47 »

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:01:26 AM »
Amish cheese, way lucky, commercially I get Kroger/Safeway/HEB Brand around here!

I would love to take a course from Amish on how to make cheese!

Looks like you are having fun, anyone else have ideas?

Buck47

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »
Morning John,

Took your advise --- placed the large round Cheddar in the cave, the mushroom/leek tube cheese has gone in the refrigerator.

Set the rectangular size chunk of soft cheese on the kitchen table, thinking I would dry the rind and then start wiping with olive oil.

Checked it this morning and it is developing a harder rind. But it is also sweating oil. The surface is oily to the touch. I wiped with a clean cotton towel and have wrapped it in muslin to obsorb the oil.

Question: how does one oil a cheese that is already oily?

Is this common for cheese to sweat oil?  Haven't read members talking about this topic.

Could post Pics if that would help explain.

Regards: john

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
If it is sweating, it is too warm and is losing butter fat. I would not try to develop a rind on that cheese. They made it just the way it should be. IMHO it is not a good candidate for longer aging. Vacuum bagging would work well and would keep forever (and age some more) in your refrigerator. You can also freeze it, but the texture will change somewhat. Thaw very slowly at refrigerator temperature.

Buck47

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
If it is sweating, it is too warm and is losing butter fat. I would not try to develop a rind on that cheese. They made it just the way it should be. IMHO it is not a good candidate for longer aging.

Thanks Sailor for that information.

It is acting far different from other cheeses I have made. It's losing butter fat at room temps. 68F.

I agree this one is "not a candidate for longer aging"

I appreciate your input.

Regards: john