Author Topic: Questions on: Cream Wax Clear coating with mold inhibitors  (Read 3727 times)

Buck47

Questions on: Cream Wax Clear coating with mold inhibitors
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »
Do any of the members use Cream Wax Clear Cheese coating with mold inhibitors?  I haven't seen this product talked about on the forum. I'm interested in others feedback.

How long can a cheese be aged using a Cream Wax Coating? Is a heated wax coating also required for long term storage?

I have been using three coats of Cream Wax before dipping in conventional heated wax.

Is a Cream wax coating used as just one of the steps in aging cheese.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:13:06 AM by Buck47 »

Cheese Head

Re: Questions on: Cream Wax Clear coating with mold inhibitors
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:41:49 AM »
The only person I remember using this or maybe a similar product was here, otherwise as Sergeant Schultz used to say, "I know nothing".

Buck47

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:03:12 AM »
Hey John, I just read the thread from your link. Fascinating info especially the part about tallow & lard coatings.

I remember seeing some YouTube vids where a german company was making big wheels of cheese that looked like they had been coated in this cream wax. Will try and find that again.

I purchased mine from Hoegger Supply Comp.

Here's the write up.

Available for the first time to the home cheesemaker. Cream wax acts as a mold inhibitor on all hard cheeses. Simply hand apply a thin coating on the outside surface of your finished hard cheeses and allow to air dry thoroughly. Then cover with regular cheese wax. You'll never have to worry about mold spoiling your valuable hard cheese again.
Our price: $11.95

Thanks bud for finding that info.

Regards: john

Oberhasli

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
I have always used the cream wax on my parms and romanos.  I get mine from Glengarry Cheesemaking in Canada.  I usually put on one coat and let it dry well and then use a heated wax to finish.  I find the cream wax helps with mold.  I typically age my parms for at least six months and I had trouble with mold eating away at my cheeses until I started using the cream wax. 

Bonnie

Buck47

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
Hi Bonnie,

I've coated three of my cheese with the Cream Wax. Like you I've have not had any mold issues. The instructions say it's important for good rind to be developed before coating with the Cream Wax. Have not salted any of the wheels I've used this product on.

Have you tried using just the Cream Wax for any long aging? (6 months or more)

Regards: john

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
I know Margarett Morris (Glengarry Cheese) uses it. She convinced me to buy it but I haven't used it yet as I never wax.