Author Topic: My second Reblochon  (Read 4879 times)

mtncheesemaker

My second Reblochon
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:47 PM »
Here are 6 week old Reblochons. I used a larger floc multiplier this time and came out with a softer cheese. Very happy with this and it's easy to make.

Cheese Head

Re: My second Reblochon
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »
Gorgeous looking cheeses, you should be very proud, thanks for the pics!

susanky

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:44:14 AM »
I don't know anything about this kind of cheese.  But they sure do look good.  It's time I learn!  Thanks for sharing.
Susan

Buck47

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:32:18 AM »
I agree very nice looking, and well photographed.

Did you use Raw milk?

Thanks for the post.  Regards: john

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:54:44 AM »
Thanks. Yes, raw milk. Each of these is about 1.1#.

Helen

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:41 AM »
Yummy! And such a pretty rind.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:16 AM »
Absolutely beautiful!

How do they taste? Do you have a recipe you can share? Any special tips for your perfection?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Brie

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 01:36:48 AM »
So funny, Pam, was looking at your Reblochon and wondering why it had so many holes. I have been working on this cheese for several months and trying to perfect. I had one that is now at 6 weeks (pic below) and decided to cut after seeing your post. Low and behold, there were holes in mine as well!This is a glorious cheese when made with raw milk and cream added--so rich! BTW--I have a tomme aging with your grape leaves and a very healthy douse of Merlot! Thanks, again.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 01:39:02 PM »
The recipe I used is here.
I used 3 for my floc multiplier as I wanted a softer cheese than I got by following the recipe the first time. It took 20 min to floc so I cut at 60 min. I always add molds/yeasts to the milk rather than to the wash.
For this I used 1/8t MM100 & 1/8t thermo C, plus a pinch of Geo, P. candidum and B. linens.
Brie, do you ever press these under whey? I'm thinking about trying that next to see if I can get a bit more consolidated rind.
You're welcome for the leaves!

Brie

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:11:58 AM »
I followed the same recipe with the following exceptions:
When I packed curds into molds, I stacked the molds on top of each other. They were all still heavy with whey.
I washed every other day for three weeks with a salt water brine that had a dash of b-linens.
Every other day I took off the lid and allowed them to breathe at room temp for 1/2 to  1 hour. This helps to allow the b-linens to grow.
It should be very soft--like a brie.
Christine

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 01:49:54 AM »
Brie, that cheese looks so good! So creamy.

I feel like I'm really missing out on something here. I've been focusing on hard cheeses and neglected such as yours. I believe I'm about due for a soft cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Brie

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 02:02:25 AM »
Thanks, Boof--the very cool thing about these cheeses (Reblochon, Morbier, Tallgeio) is that their aging period is very short (4-6 weeks)-- all washed-rind cheeses that take a bit of care; however, the reward is wonderful.

dttorun

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 11:51:54 PM »
Hi,
I made my first reblochon 3 weeks ago and it has been ripening since then. First week I had white mold on the rind and now I have nice combination of white and yellow. I think it is time to go colder in the fridge but not sure how to store and how long. Any advice?
Thanks,
Tan

Brie

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 01:40:59 AM »
I would leave it at 50-55 with RH at 85%--I spray with BV Linens every other day for a month and leave the lid open at room temp for 1/2 hour every other day as well to allow the linens to breathe. Good luck and let us know how it is coming along.

dttorun

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 03:19:39 AM »
Here is my first Reblochon attempt. I have two wheels and couldn't wait to taste. I cut it after around one week in the fridge. Little too salty probably due to spraying b.linen-(heavy) brine solution periodically. Paste close to the rind is already creamy but center is still crumbly, indication of too early to consume. Next one will ripen for several weeks. It doesn't have holes though.
Tan