Author Topic: Rum Caerphilly (#4)  (Read 2037 times)

Flound

Rum Caerphilly (#4)
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
No, I'm not making it with rum. It's my first cheese 'order'.

I was given the milk, and for making the cheese, through the miracles of barter, I'm getting a bottle of rum. Yay me!

On a sad note, this is my first surrogate cheese. I'll birth it, nurture and care for it during its infancy and one day, three weeks from now, I'll give it up, without ever having tasted it. That'll be a tough day....

11L Baxter's Whole Milk
2.4ml CaCl in 60ml distilled water
2.3ml single strength calf rennet

11:20 milk put in double boiler, temp 20.4, added CaCL, start warming to 32.0C
11:47 temp 23.5C
11:52 temp 25.2C
11:58 temp 26.7C
12:04 temp 27.5C
12:11 temp 28.7C
12:14 temp 28.9C 3 cubes Meso Arom B added
12:20 temp 29.8C
12:28 temp 31.1C
12:35 temp 32.5C - moved to sink bath to ripen 30 minutes
13:00 temp 32.2C - added rennet in 60ml cool distilled water, timer started.
13:13 flocc'ed @12:58 - 3X multiplier - time to cut curd 13:39 - temp 31.8C
13:40 temp 32.0C - cut curd
13:45 finished cutting curd - let stand 5 min for curd to firm up
13:50 temp 31.8C - stirred gently
13:55 temp 31.5C - finished stirring - heating to 35.0C over 30 min
14:13 temp 33.3C - slight stir
14:27 temp 34.4C - maintain temp 45 min
14:42 temp 34.5 C - slight stir
14:57 temp 35.4C - slight stir
15:13 drained whey, placed in cloth lined mold in pot under 15kg
15:43 flipped, redressed, put back under 15kg
16:15 flipped, redressed, put under 25kg until morning
Next day
5:30 flipped, put back in mold, no cloth to smooth appearance, put under 25kg

Flound

Re: Rum Caerphilly (#4)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
It's out of the press and into the saturated brine. Weight out of the press 1490g.

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
Nice looking wheel!  There's a tool called a "trier", which is designed to remove a core of cheese.  You then sample the inner bit put the rind back in as a plug.  This is what they do to test cheese, to inspect how it is aging.  You could use an vegetable peeler.  You could even claim it was an "official" step. 

If you find your cheese is retaining too much whey, you can increase your stirring.  I basically stir for most of the time now, rather than the occasional stir.  You're having good results, so you may not want to change anything.  Just something to consider if you want to experiment in tweaking the make.   Stir schedule is one of the things to tweak.

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:39:34 PM »
Hey Jeff;

I think my notes may be deceiving, I actually stirred this one a fair amount, but using light (slight) pressure. Most of those were at least 4-5 minute stirs.

It'll be out of the bath in a few hours.

I'm just kidding about the tasting. He's a good buddy and he'll be giving me a small wedge, for testing purposes. I saw a trier on Yoav's site...I'm hinting for a birthday or Xmas present.

cowboycheese

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »
Let us know how the tasting test goes. The more I read posts like yours the more I want to try a Caerphilly.

I'll vouch that the trier on Yoav's site really works as great birthday present. One of them arrived in the mail for me. It fit in a gift bag without a hassle and I was able to lift it out without an incident and open the manufactures box without embarrassing myself or cutting my fingers. How it works on a cheese is yet to be determined.    ;D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
You'll have to use a cheese trier on it to see if it's ready.  Perfect time for a little taste!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Flound

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:33:47 PM »
Out of the brine, fellow babies. (channelling Dr. Johnny Fever)

Weight 1475g. Off to air dry for a few days....

Flound

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »
Fred (my beautiful and way smarter life partner) saw a Caerphilly at Pete's Frootique in Halifax this weekend, so she bought a wedge for me to compare.

N.B., Fred is the name Jeff gave to her when we first started dating. Word to wise, don't take any naming suggestions from him. His own progeny almost ended up with Ernest and Desdemona. While not bad names in and of themselves, his wife chose Genesta and Gregor respectively. Jeff, I suspect, fancies himself a reincarnation of Johnny Cash - of a 'Boy Named Sue' fame.

At any rate, being oblivious to what a Caerphilly is supposed to taste like, having never tried any but my own, i sampled it.

At the risk of sounding pompous (Jeff is going to comment on that), I have to say mine are 'better'. The tang was fairly sharp, not a great crumble as the texture was waxy both to touch and mouth feel, noticeably less of a butter/cream taste and just perceptible acidity. Really, it smacked of a rather bland cheese comparatively.

All of which pleased me greatly.

Speaking of that, have you spoken to Arrogant Man and Belligerent Man lately, Mr. Jeff?

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
Now now, to be fair I believe I named her Bill originally.  :)

Glad to hear that you've found a source to compare to.  I've not found caerphilly here.  There is one cheese producer that supposedly makes caerphilly in NZ, but by the sounds of it it's a fresh cheese and not a hard pressed one?  (i.e. not caerphilly in anything but name).  Even then, I've not seen it for sale in Auckland (but I've not looked hard since it sounds like something else anyway).

I have no idea why you think I might comment on your pompous restraint.  Such a rare event leaves me speechless! :)

And I've heard little from the Mr. Men recently.

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »
I took a few shots of the UK Caerphilly for perusal.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad cheese. It's just different than mine and lacks a bit, imo.