Author Topic: Waxing Cheese  (Read 1866 times)

starmatt

Waxing Cheese
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »
I am new to this, but I've started smoking cheese and am looking into how to store it.  I picked up some cheese wax at a local health food store and have a couple questions:

1.  Is there a good way to add color to the wax (like food coloring)?  All they had at the store was the clear/white stuff and since I'm smoking white cheddar, the wax is about the same color as the cheese.  Some of it will be given as gifts for Christmas (if not I'd have ordered the colored wax online, but it's a bit late for that) and it'd be nice if there wasn't any danger of people trying to eat the wax.  I've heard the colored stuff is better for keeping out the light as well.

2.  Some farms around here (NH/VT) that make cheese wrap it in foil before waxing it.  Is there an advantage to doing that?  I think the reason they claimed was an increased shelf life, but I'm not sure.  It seems like it would increase the likelihood of air pockets under the wax/foil. 

Anyway, I'm glad there's a forum like this.  My wife wants to get into some cheese making.