Author Topic: I would like to buy a used bulk milk tank 40 gallons or less and a milk house.  (Read 3429 times)

mary_koch@hotmail.com

I milk 1-2 cows twice a day and want to sell the milk so I am looking to buy a small bulk milk storage tank.  The Neiros made in Slovenia is $4,500.00 new and holds 40 gallons of milk.  This is a little big for our purposes but it is the smallest I have come across.  I would love some leads on a used bulk tank and also a milk house sink for sale.  I live in upstate NY.

Thank you

spalko

For such a small amount of milk I highly recommend trying to find a used Ice Bank tank.
They don't make them any more, but if you can find one you will love it!
I have a 300L Neiros (which I bought new in 2006) and a 150 gal Ice Bank - the ice bank is my favorite.

The advantage of the Ice Banks over other types of bulk tanks is that you have no minimum amount of milk required to agitate the milk and keep it from freezing.
With the Neiros (and most other tanks) you have to have anywhere from 5-10% of the entire capacity of the tank to reach the agitators.  If you don't reach the agitator in the Neiros, you will blow the bottom out of the tank.

Now... since you're milking cows and not small ruminants this may not be as big of an issue... but just the same... finding a used Ice Bank will save you a bundle.  My ice bank is almost 100 years old, I drove from TN to the pan-handle of FL to pick it up in a U-haul... worth the drive.

Hope that helps!  Good luck!