Author Topic: Cheddar: Ripening time adjustments for CHOOZIT MA 4001 versus EZAL MA 014  (Read 3251 times)

pjbarron

Hey Everyone, this is my first post here and I sure can use some help. I am trying to make a cheddar based on the Choozit MA 4001 starter. I'm using 2 gallons of pasteurized cow milk. The recipe I'm using calls for a ripening time of 1 1/2 hours @88° F using EZAL MA 014. Anyone with thoughts on how I modify this time for the Choozit? An earlier effort that failed because of overall poor time management, seemed to lower the pH faster and more that I expected.

Mant thanks,

-PJ

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Cheddar: Ripening time adjustments for CHOOZIT MA 4001 versus EZAL MA 014
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »
PJ - It's not about the time, it's about the pH. Cheddar should drain around 6.1. So the rate of acidification and how long that takes very much depends on the strains of bacteria that you are using. The MA 4001 might be lower or faster. Depends on the age of the culture, strain variability, how much you use and lots of other variables. Some people claim to be able to look at a cheese and know what the pH is doing - not me. The only way to know what is really going on is with a good pH meter.

The cheddar should be around 5.3-5.5 at salting and hooping. These targets very much determine the outcome of the finished cheese. Low pH = drier, crumblier, with more of a bite. Higher pH = more moist, not as crumbly.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
PJ way too many variable for a quick answer. Have a look at this from Glenngarry website: www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/starterscultures.htm
 You can see that the MA11-19 series is a slightly faster acidifier than the MA4000 series. That is with all things being equal, ripening time/temp/culture age Etc. As Sailor has stated the only way to duplicate your makes time after time is to measure the PH all the way through. So if you are trying to reproduce your results, it's time get the PH meter out.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
You can look at the acidification curve for both and compare, or plot your own curve using your pH meter and recording over time.

Also, agree with Sailor, it's about balancing pH vs time, and getting the moisture level right at whey drain.