Author Topic: tasting the new gouda  (Read 2655 times)

Sing_cheese

tasting the new gouda
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
Cracked open our first Gouda yesterday with mixed results. The paste was quite crumbley almost flakey.  Tasted like an aged cheese with more hints of cheddar than anything else.  Does this get smoother with age (this was at two months)?

Plan on re-waxing the big half of the wheel and waiting some more.  I have read that very old gouda can be quite crumbley.  this seemed anything but like a gouda from the store.  Any suggestions??

thanks,

Gerrit

wharris

Re: tasting the new gouda
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »
The gouda that I am making will age for 18 months before I "try" it.  The gouda at the store that is crumbly is between 18-26 months aged. 

The Beemster XO (extra old) is at least 26 months.

Also,  the natural rind is washed with brine every other day for about 2 months, and not waxed from what I know.  (I am not putting wax on mine)

The Salt brine will dry out the surface and create a natural rind.  This should also draw moisture out.

I am truly no expert here, and this just about encompassed all i know of gouda.  ;)

I will let you know how mine comes along. 

SalMac makes more gouda than anyone i know.  He might have more meaningful insight here.

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:58:54 PM »
Hi Sing..
Could you possibly post the recipe you used for this Gouda, including pressing weights, cultures, milk type, cooking and washing method.
I've made a lot of Gouda and so far have always turned out a really nice smooth and creamy wheels. Even those that I have let age for up to six months have had a nice texture, not at all crumbly.
I don't know that I will find anything wrong with the recipe you used, but I would be more than happy to take a look at it.

Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:32:25 PM »
Sing, it still looks and sounds like it tasts good, even if not like Gouda.

The flakiness and cheddarish taste must come from the making phase?

I had some grand old 2 & 1 year old Boerenkass and Rembrandt Brand Gouda's last weekend and neither were flaky of cheddary, almost soft Parmigiano texture and taste.

Good luck with the detective work.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:07:52 AM »
I'm with CH, usually if it's dry and crumbly it usually leads back to the making. Causes are of course pressing too much whey out. Cooking the curds too much, releasing whey. Stirring too aggresively chopping up the curds releasing whey.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:31 AM »
Will post my the recipe and log used (was not doing it on line or with photos at the time).  I was using a internet bought press at the time with a spring and no way to tell pressig weight and as I recall now, it was most likely way overpressed as it expelled a lot of milky fluid as I pressed the hell out of it.  As I have learned in the past couple of months, It would seem that this may of been over done at that stage.

Thanks,

Gerrit