Author Topic: Chilipepper's Cheese #007 - Gouda  (Read 4531 times)

chilipepper

Chilipepper's Cheese #007 - Gouda
« on: December 27, 2008, 04:10:15 AM »
Well after taking the advice from Cheese Head, I think I'll start posting my recipe notes here for well posterity's sake!

Type of Cheese: Gouda
Type of Milk: 2 Gallons - Raw Jersey (collected 12/22-12/23, 2008)

Heated Milk to 90 degree F in utility sink water bath with tap water starting at 110F.

Added 1 package of Mesophilic culture from Cheesemaking.com at 12:00 PM

12:14 PM - added 1/2 tsp Malaka rennet to 1/4 cup distilled water and added to milk.  Milk temp 89.7F

1:15 PM - cut curd to 1/2 inch cubes.  Curd temp 90.3F. 

Let curd sit 20 minutes.

1:37 PM - draw off about 1/3 of the whey and add approximately 2 cups of 175F water to raise curd temp to 93F.  (In actuality I added about 4 cups and temp shot to about 97F so I quickly added about 2 cups of distilled room temp water to get temp of curd to 93F).

Let rest for 10 minutes.

Drew off whey again down to level of the curd and added hot water until curd reached 100F.

Stirred for 15 minutes

2:25 PM - nice firm curd.

Drained into preheated collander with butter muslin.

Drained for 5 minutes before putting into mold.

Here is where the small fiasco started... the small mold (2 lb from cheesemaking.com) didn't fit the curd from 2 gallons of this fresh raw milk.  Loosely packed it was over an inch over the top of the mold.  Luckily I had just received a couple of other mold for making blue/brie however without followers.  I drew off about 1/3 of the curd and added it to the second mold and started pressing with 20 lbs on each mold for 20 minutes. 

Removed curd from the molds to flip.  Curd was very soft and you really have to watch so you don't break or squish the cheese at this point.  Redressed and pressed again at 20 lbs for 20 minutes.

Once again flipped and pressed with 50 lbs for 12-16 hours or in this case overnight.

That's it for now ... more tomorrow...

chilipepper

Re: Chilipepper's Cheese #007 - Gouda
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
Out of the press and into the brine... cheesecloth kind of wanted to stick to the cheese especially on the bottom where it was in contact with the mat under my 'press'.  I pressed these at approximately 50 lbs for 16 hours.  I didn't want to show the press as it looked a little percarious to say the least!

Tea

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
These look good Chilipepper.  Are you going to wax or wrap?  Hope these age successfully for you.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
Chili, they look good, but you're using raw milk and your whey looks quite milky not clear, any reason for that? Your curds look good, though.

chilipepper

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
Yeah I noticed that too... not too sure why that is.  The whey was similar on my Camembert as well.  Maybe I need to add a little CaCl to my raw milk as well?  I wouldn't think you would have to but it would be interesting to hear the advice of others with a little more experience than a greenhorn like me.

This Gouda should be ready for a waxing this weekend! I'm really struggling with the patience part of cheese making! :D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:19:32 AM »
Yes patients sucks.

As far as adding the CACL you could it can't hurt it's just calicum salt.

Likesspace

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
Chilipepper,
I think I might have some good news for you on the subject of patience.
I've been making Gouda for the past three years and it has always been the one cheese that everyone raves about.
Personally, Gouda is not one of my favorites, but my friends and family can't wait for the next batch to be ready to eat.
I have aged Gouda cheese for up to 6 months and I have eaten it as quickly as two weeks out of the press and quite honestly it tastes just as good to me (and everyone else) at the two week mark.
The only problem I might see with you trying one so young is the USDA recommendation of waiting at least 60 days before consuming a raw milk cheese (at least I think that's what the recommendation is.....you might want to check this yourself).
Quite honestly, I see lots of other countries that do not follow this advice and I don't hear of them dropping over dead from eating their fresh milk cheeses at a younger age.
Gouda is a naturally mild cheese but all of mine have had a nice sharpness to them even at the two week mark. Anymore, I think nothing of cracking one open anytime after two weeks because I know it will have a good flavor.
If you decide to give this a try, I would do it with the smaller one (just in case it's not to your liking). I almost always do a two gallon, 6" wheel of Gouda and have never had a problem.

Dave

chilipepper

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »
Ok, I caved to the urge and 'tested' the smaller wheel and waxed the larger one.  Good news Likesspace as predicted I didn't drop over dead.  8)

What I tasted was a very nice mild cheese with a little bit of sharpness but balanced.  I did have to wax the larger one as a preventative measure to make sure that I don't eat it all up too quickly.  There is something about the wax that make it a little easier to keep it behind the wax and not testing it too often!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
The waxing job looks good, mine always come up not so smooth.

Tea

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:03:42 PM »
Chilipepper my whey was also a little too milky.  I just up'ed the rennet that I used, and it seems to have taken care of that problem.  My addition rate is .5ml/2lt, then I add an extra .25 - .5ml for every 10ltr.
HTH

chilipepper

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »
Thanks Tea, I'll give it a little extra shot of rennet next time.

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 01:36:05 AM »
Chilipepper...glad to hear you didn't drop over dead. That woudl have been a major bummer.  :D
I just did a Gouda today that is currently floating in it's brine bath. I did a 4 gallon batch which came out of the press looking really nice.
VERY nice looking cheese you turned out and an excellent wax job. I really need to start dipping my wheels instead of brushing.

Dave