Author Topic: Shropshire Blue Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 4770 times)

dttorun

Shropshire Blue Cheese Making Recipe
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
I am going to make Shropshire cheese by following Stilton cheese recipe and adding annatto. I was wondering if there is any other difference because the real one I just bought has no piercing marks and no signs of blue colour on the rind. Any advice how to keep outside surface blue mold free? When I use P.Roq I sprinkle while layering the curds prior to pressing rather than adding it to the milk. So I slow it down and get blue mold after piercing.
Thanks,
Tan

Cheese Head

Re: Shropshire Blue Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »
dttorn, good question!

I don't know enough about blues, but I read once about Danish blues having both blue P rocqueforti & white P candidum and I believe they white controls the surface/rind from the blue, presumably you don't let the white bloom as much as with Camemberts.

Here's a pciture of Shropshire Blue for those that don't know it.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:38:28 PM »
Good post tran! I don't think that I have read a thread about that style of cheese yet. I have always thought that it was a great looking and tasting variety. I too would be interested in the members input on this topic. Best regards for a great holiday season!

dttorun

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
dttorn, good question!

I don't know enough about blues, but I read once about Danish blues having both blue P rocqueforti & white P candidum and I believe they white controls the surface/rind from the blue, presumably you don't let the white bloom as much as with Camemberts.

Here's a pciture of Shropshire Blue for those that don't know it.

Thanks John, when you mentioned Danish blue I recall that it doesn't have blue rind either. I hope it is not too late to add (or spray) P.Candidum to this cheese as I already made it and it is ripening.

mayapi

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »
Hello,

- the stilton cheese use animal rennet, the shropshire cheese use vegetal rennet .

- stilton use pénicillium roqueforti, shropshire use pénicillium glaucum

- shropshire use annatto for aditionnal color

I try to make this cheese at home, i am french and passionate by the flavor of this cheese, and making some goat cheese with hydromel.

Is anyone can help me to make this cheese  ?

I have make a mini fridge with temp and humidity controler.

I really need good tricks for quantity of milk, time for the whey, temperature and humidity ...

Also, where to find the right penicilium and some materials for a good success of a 8kg true traditionnal shropshire cheese.

my dream!

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
Hello,

- the stilton cheese use animal rennet, the shropshire cheese use vegetal rennet .

Stilton uses both animal and vegetable rennets.  The EU guidelines for Stilton do not specify what type of rennet to use.

carpentersbug

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:35:53 AM »
I think it's the same cheese but tangier, so the finishing (saltier) pH will be lower.  There are reports that it is younger as well so maybe it's pierced a week or two earlier.

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »
I think it's the same cheese but tangier,
Shropshire Blue is a different cheese to Stilton - smoother, creamier and milder (and in my opinion, nicer).