Author Topic: Recipe for Vacherin?  (Read 1966 times)

mtncheesemaker

Recipe for Vacherin?
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for this cheese? I've never eaten it but have been reading about it and it sounds good.
Thanks.

Alex

Re: Recipe for Vacherin?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »
There is a recipe for Vacherin d'Abondance Fermier in "French Cheese" by Masui & Yamada.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
Thanks, Alex. I'll try to find it.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
Alex, I love the book.  The description covers vacherin production in one fermier's method in general, but offers no specifics on amounts, cultures, etc.  Much like Waverly Root's Food of France, if you've got some experience in making this stuff, you can extrapolate, create, improve...but if a tyro, like myself, I'd add my $0.02 request as well, as I absolutely love vacherin and would love to make it.

(By the way - may post on another thread, trying to remember a cheese had years ago, many times, but not since then...strongly reminiscent of lanolin and grasses.  I recall alpine tomme, though that may be wrong - the one note I have going a long way back suggests it may have been a tomme du fédou...any bells?).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:48:27 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Alex

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
(By the way - may post on another thread, trying to remember a cheese had years ago, many times, but not since then...strongly reminiscent of lanolin and grasses.  I recall alpine tomme, though that may be wrong - the one note I have going a long way back suggests it may have been a tomme du fédou...any bells?).

Sorry, no bells

Alex

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
Thanks, Alex. I'll try to find it.

Pam,
 If anyone could tell me it's OK, I can type the recipe from that book. I hope that being an experienced cheesemaker, you'll manage.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 05:37:06 PM »
Alex, recipes are not protected by copyright law under section 102(a) of the copyright law of 1976. Case law has consistently called recipes a process, and not a creative, literary work, and instead applies the standards of 102(b). About the only time copyright protection can be extended to recipes is if someone copies an entire book or collection.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
Thanks, LB, for that bit of info. Interesting distinction.
Alex, thank you for the offer. If you could just lay out the bare bones, I think I can make it work.
Does anyone know a place that sells those little round wooden cheese boxes?
Pam