Author Topic: Adjustting setting time for a cold house  (Read 3884 times)

kateskitchen

Re: Adjustting setting time for a cold house
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
 :-\Sigh. I can't answer the question yet because the #*&% curd took forever to set. Around 10pm last night I tried to cut it, and although I got a clean break about an inch in from the edge of the pot, the center was more like very thin yogurt. So I bundled it back up and decided to let it sit overnight. This morning I proceeded with the recipe, which said to heat some water to 170F and add as much to the curds as necessary to bring their temperature to 125. I had to read the recipe 3 times to be sure I was supposed to pour hot water on top of the curds, so that's what I did. Seems to me that all it did was dilute what was already in the pot. I kept checking the temp with 2 different thermometers and after a half hour the best I could get to was 120F, even though the curds were in a bowl set inside a larger bowl filled with hot water. So I gave up and ladled it into my butter muslin and am now draining it. Wow, there's a lot of whey. The pot is back upstairs in the warm room. The muslin bag is pretty heavy, so maybe there actually are some curds in there.

Any idea how long it will take to drain? Meanwhile, what do I do with this whey? I hate to throw it out.

This is so much more confusing than making sourdough! Maybe I should hop over to the artisan bread forum where I'm on more familiar turf. (At least flour isn't as expensive as dairy-fresh cream!) Or maybe I just need a different recipe.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:40:31 PM by kateskitchen »

KosherBaker

Re: Adjustting setting time for a cold house
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 05:34:02 AM »
:-\Sigh. I can't answer the question yet because the #*&% curd took forever to set.
Any idea how long it will take to drain? Meanwhile, what do I do with this whey? I hate to throw it out.

This is so much more confusing than making sourdough! Maybe I should hop over to the artisan bread forum where I'm on more familiar turf. (At least flour isn't as expensive as dairy-fresh cream!) Or maybe I just need a different recipe.
Hang in there, it does get easier. :) Remember your first loaves. Mine were either like volleyballs or pancakes. :)
Not interested in using ph meters ... want to learn the process more as a skill. Knowing the look and feel of the process is important to me.

Regards: john
I remember joining a baking forum some 10 years into my baking experience, and I remember how much they harped about baking with the scales. I kept retorting "Bah, me,  scales, what ..... I bake by feel, by touch, by smell". Well a few months after joining that forum I started using the scale. I learned more about baking in one year than I did in the previous 10. :) I still bake by feel, by touch and by smell. But the scale allows me to produce repeatable results and also lets me know why my bread turned out the way it did. Instead of hearing things like "Your dough will need less water because it's raining outside" :)
Having been reading this forum for bit, I see many exhibit the same feeling towards the pH meter that I once had towards the scale. I myself though, have already purchased the pH meter. :) Just need to get the calibration solutions. :)