Author Topic: Any Straight Blade Shavers on the forum?  (Read 5538 times)

Buck47

Any Straight Blade Shavers on the forum?
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:23:29 AM »
One of my passions is shaving with straight razors.

Thought would ask if any other members use straights.  If so, when did you learn ?

How long have you used straights?
Do you hone yourself or send then out to a Honemeister.
Favorite Strop ?

Regards: john

Cheese Head

Re: Any Straight Blade Shavers on the forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »
Nice pics and straight razors, sorry nope, never had the guts to use one. I did have a straight blade shave with hot moist towels first in a barbers shop years ago, after which my face felt like a baby's bum and I didn't have to shave for 2 more days, great shave!

Buck47

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:00:15 AM »
I did have a straight blade shave with hot moist towels first in a barbers shop years ago, after which my face felt like a baby's bum and I didn't have to shave for 2 more days, great shave!

Your right about that. Not uncommon to go two days between shaves. They do shave close. And a guys skin has a shine to it.  Splash on some Bay Rum and head to the local dance floor on a Saturday night.  ;)

Took me about a year to learn. BTW: the guy that hones my blades lives in Texas. Jose Longoria, down in Harlingen TX. Great guy.  A new blade from him is sharp enough to split an atom. :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:06:06 AM by Buck47 »

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
With John, I'm, uh, afraid I've had too many trailers of Sweeney Todd playing around in my bean whenever considering doing it myself.   ???

Did have it done, though, a few times, by an old-school Chicago barber (old, marvelous Italian guy, locked up in the middle of some high-rise, I now forget the building, doing a brisk business entirely by rep for something like 50+ years).  The whole thing of it - the mags, the banter, the thing itself - a pleasurable memory of a yesteryear that was never mine.  Sadly.
- Paul

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
The guy who gave me the straight razor shave was a small barbor shop somewhere in Morocco about 28 years ago when I was 23, I remember him using a strop (leather sharpener) I think I have a picture of me having it but I'll never find it in all the boxes, and frankly this IS a an Artisan Craft!

Buck47

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:10:06 AM »
Well both you men have known the pleasure of having a straight razor shave. To bad the days of the men's barber shop have all but gone.  I'm lucky in that where I live we still have the town barber.

He started as a young man at the time straight shaves where common. Fridays nights & Saturday mornings & Wednesday where the best days for shaves. In those days a message ( scalp, neck - shoulders) was common, along with shave and hair cut. Damn hard work ... took good arm and upper body strength to be a barber. 15 to 20 shaves per morning was a good Saturday morning. 

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:18:45 AM by Buck47 »

Groves

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:21:36 AM »
I use straight razors. I think I've got an a swedish one with a shark logo, and a dubl duck, and some no names. I sharpen them myself.

I haven't shaved for over a year now, so I haven't used them since then, but when I do shave, I'm lathering up and using a straight.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:40:07 AM »
Groves, good for you, when you shave :-X.

John, nice pics! when I lived in Brunei, most of the barbers there were male Indian descent and you could also get a short head and neck type massage and they would also be local chiropractors, if wanted they'd put boards on their barber's chair and crack your back and neck and arms etc!

Buck47

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:13:47 AM »
Groves: Pleased to meet ya. I have heard the dubl duck are a great shaver.

How long have you been straight shaving? Did you teach yourself?

I envy your ability to hone. I keep mine going with a Chinese stone and a cox paddle stop / then linen and leather strop.

John: I always enjoy reading your post. I'm trying to decide if you have lived an adventuresome exciting life or you've been a fugitive and had to keep moving?

BTW:  I found the Gem 1912 single edge razors shave as close as a straight. Can still be found on ebay. The Stainless Steel surgical blades with a tripple bevel work the best.
EverReady also made a nice shaver back then.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:42:29 AM by Buck47 »

zenith1

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »
Nope,not for me. I had my first shave with a straight razor by and old Italian barber when I was about 16 a long time ago. Scared the crap out of me when he approached me with that huge shiny thing. Ever since it has been safety razors!

Buck47

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
Keith:   That's is one of the funnest replies I have ever read on the internet.

I'm giving you a cheese for Christmas on that one. Have a great Holiday.  ;D

kenjin

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »
Over here in Thailand, the barber I use still uses one, I am still nervous when he shaves me but  no accidents yet, fingers crossed

Buck47

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 09:10:53 PM »
Hey Nick,

I envy you. Does your barber use hot towels for 4-5 min followed by lather?

Like you I'm a bit nervous being shaved by someone else -- my barber has a light touch and a short stroke. I use a long stroke about 3 to 4 inches at a time. Took me some time to relax and have confidence in another's style.

If you don't mind me asking what does a shave cost in Thailand in US $ ? 

KosherBaker

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:04:11 AM »
I purchased some razors a while back, although have not used them yet. I also purchased some stones, as I transitioned my German based kitchen cutlery to Japanese based. I will use an old leather belt for a strop, but still need some Chromium Oxide to go to after my Naniwa 10000 stone, before stropping.

John if you want to learn to sharpen, those Gold Dollar, Chinese made, razors are said to be pretty good shaves and are very cheap to learn on.

Buck47

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 12:50:18 AM »
Hi Kosher,

When I got into straight shaving I thought I would learn how to hone my blades. What I've found works best for me it to send them out to a guy I know in Texas who can put a wicked edge on a blade. Once I have the correct edge I focus on maintaining the edge as long as I can.

To that end I find a Chinese 30k stone works well for me followed by Chromium Oxide on a balsa paddle - then on to a horse hide strop or vintage linen then the Strop.

With a two or three blade rotation I can run out 6 to 8 months on each razor before sending it back for honing.

That is, If I don't roll the edge or mess up stropping. I don't do that much anylonger as in time I have gotten much better at maintaining an edge.

Have you started shaving with a straight yet?  If not let me know I can give you a few tips to make the transition. I have found it a deeply satifying skill to learn.

This is from a forum called Badger& Blade you may already be a member of.

I believe the author has capured the essence of straight shaving when he wrote:

"Shaving with a modern safety razor like a Gilette Fusion is fine. Utilitarian. Gets the job done. In and out. No fuss. No muss. But what about the “out” part of “in and out”? Once you’re done, you’re in your clothes and back to… back to what? The stack of bills? The inbox? Work, chores, all of life’s demands, queued up and ready for you the moment you step from that sanctuary.

In straight razor shaving, I found a sanctuary. It takes far longer than a minute. I get to stay “in” far longer; and, far more profoundly, I'm able to remain "in" far longer before I return to the “out.”

The ritual can be both involved and intoxicating. But more than anything else, the word I can best use to describe it is immersive. Driving an automatic transmission sedan is not immersive. There’s a reason why so many people text and drive or talk and drive (or drink and drive). People feel they can get away with it, because driving a car like that is just so damn easy and effortless. There’s room for a bit of error. Make a slip with a Mach 3 and know what? You’ll be fine. Just push the button on your Edge gel – and out will come perfect lather, same every time, can after can. Modern cars, like modern razors, have cruise control. Easy, breezy, in and out.

But straight shaving is dangerous. You are literally walking the razor’s edge every single time. Not even the most seasoned pro can deny that the sting of the razor is always one faint nerve twitch away. It is indeed a deeply immersive practice. First, you must be fully conscious when stropping. Why? Because if your mind wanders, you nick your blade and you nick your strop. Strops are expensive. Razors are, too. You can bang the hell out of a Fusion on the porcelain sink. But let your mind travel to the grocery list, or to the speech you have to give later that day, and you just smoked your strop and/or razor. Needless to say, once the razor makes its way to your throat, letting your mind wander can have far dearer consequences. There’s no automatic pilot here. No cruise control. No safety net.

No, you are trapped – and for the duration of this ritual you must be fully present, fully alive. When else can you say this? Even in the most intense conversation – perhaps with a critically important client or boss, or with the object of your affection – your mind is permitted to wander for a moment. Even watching the most engrossing films, I find myself occasionally scratching my wrist or pausing to notice the gumwad some jerk has left on the seatback in front of me.

But with a razor to your throat – or an inch from your eye – or at the corner of your lip – or sailing just within reach of your dangling earlobe – you needs must fully be there. Completely alive. Focused. Present and accounted for.

It is my time of day to be most focused and alert, with the most crystalline awareness of myself and my immediate surroundings. I’ve flown a plane before, but even then, you only really have that sensation of presence when you’re taking off or landing, or when some nasty turbulence really kicks in and requires you to put your life into your hands.

For me, It is the immersive, ritualistic aspect that draws me most to straight razor shaving. The time that I spend shaving truly feels like time I have gained, rather than time I have lost. It is my time. Mine alone. And this time truly does have a transubstantiated quality – one in which I feel pointedly, and most gloriously, present and alive.

PS: It's not required one be a romantic, but it does fit well. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:57:46 AM by Buck47 »