Author Topic: Thermometer - Location In Stockpot Vats  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
Thermometer - Location In Stockpot Vats
« on: November 13, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
In short, does it matter?

I see a lot of people using thermometers that are clipped to the side of the pot. But I would think that wouldn't give an accurate temp since it is so close to the conductive metal. Would measuring temp in the middle be better?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:15:58 PM by Gobae »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Thermometer - Location In Stockpot Vats
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
I only use one to keep an eye on the temp when I start getting close to my target temp I start checking out in the middle of the mix,
 with a digital thermometer, for me just an added precaution so I don't over heat ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
I am one of the clip the thermometer to the side guys.  I ensure that the thermometer is not touching the side.  I have found that there is a significant gradient across the pot.  My setup is a double boiler with about a half inch of water jacket extending 3/4 of the way up the side of the milk pot and an inch of water below the pot.  Even so, I find stirring can show a 1-2 degree change, getting warmer as the bottom is stirred up or cooler as the top center is stirred to the outside edge. 

My take is stir regularly as you are heating the milk to ensure a consistent temperature throughout.  Covering the pot while ripening and renneting helps maintain a smaller gradient within the pot.  For longer ripening periods and renneting I put the covered milk pot in a sink with as much water as possible at the ripening temperature.  That wasn't so important in the summer, but now that it is cooler the extra water mass compared to my double boiler helps hold the temperature.

During cooking, the stirring should keep the temperature even throughout and a rim mounted thermometer should be fine as long as it doesn't touch the side of the pot. 

I'm still a newbie, so I may be wrong.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
I would second that, I put mine on the edge to keep an eye on things, but will check the middle as things get closer, eitherway though you shouldnt have a significant temperture change in a normal sized pot, maybe in something more industrial sized, but even then the idea is an even temp through out so you shouldnt be at a point where you have a big temp difference throughout, couple degrees I doubt in the whole scheme of things will make any difference you would have to be able to procees and finish PRETTY fast for it not to still be able to even out the temp through out.

sigurdur

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
My take is stir regularly as you are heating the milk to ensure a consistent temperature throughout.
+1

I keep my thermometer in the middle approximately (I use a whisk as a placeholder), but I stir regularly when I'm reaching my target temperature.

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
I have my probe close to the edge but keep things stirred to maintain as even heat distribution as possible....close to the edge cause it is convenient.