Author Topic: Meltability - None, Why?  (Read 1716 times)

Spoons

Meltability - None, Why?
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:33:01 AM »
Hey peeps,

Anyone know why my last two colbys (my first two hard pressed cheeses) couldn't melt when thinly sliced (serve in grilled cheese) but did melt grated? I used the "Idiot's Guide to making cheese" recipe.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Meltability - None, Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:45:20 AM »
Melting is all about pH. If there is not enough acidity, the cheese won't melt.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:14:25 AM »
What was the texture? Were they chewy/tough and did not melt? How old?

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:05:09 AM »
The cheese was aged 3 months in both cases. The texture was a bit like processed cheese (kind of like Kraft singles) at two months but improved at the third month. ABout the melting : it did melt when we served it grated in a quiche, but did not melt sliced thinly served in grilled cheese. We then tested it more and put it on a cracker in the microwave and the piece of cheese kind of puffed up and bubbled instead of just spreading over the cracker and melt.

... And no, I did not keep track of PH levels.**sigh** I was hoping to avoid having to buy a ph reader for a while (so much more to buy first...)

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:36:29 AM »
Moisture level was too high in the curd, leading to accelerated proteolysis, leading to poor paste even if pH was fine. You didn't cook long enough. Doubt it was primarily a pH level, but pH at wash does contribute.

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
Thx Linux, Thx Sailor,

I guess I still have lots to learn  :D In the second cheese though, I was bang on in the cooking process though at 1F per 2:30 minutes. If it's about moisture, is it possible that I cut the curd too big? I still don't have a crud cutter.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
Yep, most likely. You'll get the hang of it, curd moisture determination by feel takes time.

OlJarhead

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
Thx Linux, Thx Sailor,

I guess I still have lots to learn  :D In the second cheese though, I was bang on in the cooking process though at 1F per 2:30 minutes. If it's about moisture, is it possible that I cut the curd too big? I still don't have a crud cutter.

I'm wondering though, did you cook them (the curds) for an hour after draining the whey?

I have similar issues with mine but I only cooked for about 15 minutes due to time etc...next time I make cheese I'm going to start earlier and do the whole process!