Author Topic: Blue cheese success!!  (Read 2955 times)

scubagirlwonder

Blue cheese success!!
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
Hi gang!

Well, I did it! I cracked my first "Stilton" (from this thread... http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4617.msg35684.html )and I am THRILLED! It is delicious, creamy, tangy, melt-in-your-mouth blue cheese goodness! Many, many thanks to all of you for encouraging me to give blues a go; it was well worth it! Especially--Big thanks to LinuxBoy for your recipe, and all your tips, techniques and advice you've shared with me! I can't wait to make this again....my husband homebrews, so this year for Christmas we are giving family and friends baskets with 6 different types of beer and 3 of my cheeses (Swiss, Manchego and Stilton) and homemade quince paste too! I have to say though, that this blue blows the other two cheeses out of the water-it is by far the best tasting of the three!
Here's a couple pics of the blue I just cracked open...unfortunately the flashed washed out it's color a little, but you get the idea!
Cheers!

linuxboy

Re: Blue cheese success!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »
Yeah! So happy it worked out for you. :)

susanky

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »
Wow!  That looks absolutely delicious! It looks like a bit chunk of cheese. How many gallons of milk did you start with?  Great Christmas gifts!
Susan

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 05:12:43 AM »
It's actually not as big as it looks! I started with 4 gallons of milk, then divided the curd into two molds...each 4 1/2" wide x 5" tall... I was completely amazed at the amount of curd that I got during this make; it barely fit in the two molds. And, did I mention it's delicious??!! lol  ;D (I can't contain my excitement at how well this cheese turned out, my best cheese by far!!)

susanky

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
Mmmm.  Everytime I open this post it makes my mouth water.  If my math is right, it looks like your cheese is about 4 months old.  What kind of milk did you use?  Is it a recipe you can share?
Susan

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
I used a combination of homogenized/pasteurized and NON-hemogenized milk (from a great local dairy!) for this cheese, as well as fresh cream. I would be glad to share the recipe, which I got from my friend LinuxBoy! He was kind enough to share it with me and told me I was welcome to share it with others! The recipe is here http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71:stilton-approximation-howto&catid=38:bloomy-rind-and-blue&Itemid=58 (LinuxBoy has created the Washington Cheese Guild website, and is adding recipes and techniques as the site progresses), I highly recommend checking it out http://www.wacheese.com/ I owe the success of this cheese to LinuxBoy and all his advice and tips-AND his incredible patience it guiding a new cheesemaker who has a million questions!
Good luck!  :D

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
Looks VERY good.

I've got my first blue in the ripening container for about a week now.  Can't wait for the day when I can try it out.

Congrats!

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 04:17:06 AM »
Good luck! I hope it's delicious!!!

OudeKaas

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »
Making a first attempt at a Stilton today, and very encouraged by this thread. Gonna try per linuxboy's recipe, mostly.

Having a piece of Borough Market Stilton (I assume this is from Neal's Yard) as inspiration as well . . .wow. So dense, yet super-creamy. Beautiful off-white to yellowish color, restrained bluegreen veining, pretty mottled brown and white exterior rind. An exquisite mix of rich cheesiness and blue kick, with a nicely salty finish. Gotta have a goal to shoot for, eh?

I will be happy just to make an edible blue cheese myself!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:41:20 PM by Brandnetel »

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
Good luck!

Hopefully you will have a delicious cheese in 90 or so days! I found LinuxBoy's directions to be clear and easy to follow, so you shouldn't have any trouble! I can't wait to hear how things turn out!

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »
What % of salt did you apply to the milled curds?