Author Topic: Lactose Intolerance & Milk Products  (Read 3533 times)

Cheese Head

Lactose Intolerance & Milk Products
« on: December 27, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
Chilipepper & Carter posted a little on another thread on this topic so I thought I'd start one just for it, as, yes I'll admit it, I am Lactose Intolerant. If I drink a litre/quart of milk, within half an hour I'm on the loo, but I can eat cheese, yogurt, and drink milk in reasonable amounts without problem. Some info:

Wikipedia's Info On Lactose Intolerance

Wikipedia's Info On Lactose Intolerance & Milk Products

US National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases info on Lactose Intolerance

American Dairy Associations Info On Lactose Intolerance

For the Ozzie's and Kiwi's, Dairy Australia Lactose Intolerance and pdf with several cheese's lactose amounts.

Tea

Re: Lactose Intolerance & Milk Products
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »
One of my daughters is lactose intolerant, so this is of interest to me also.  I was interested in the statement that it was the pastur/hom process that creates this. mmm I haven't come across this before, so it is something that I am interested in trial with my daughter.  She is the reason that I make goats cheese when ever I can get my hands on some.

Thanks CH for the links, they are much appreciated.

saycheese

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:25:27 AM »
Alas, in recent years, I too am lactose intolerant but hard cheese and yogurt don't bother me at all.  Tea, I've heard that info about raw milk being better for you and not causing the problems that pasteurized, homogenized milk does, but have not been brave enough to test it out for myself.  Since you have some cows, do you find this to be true?

Tea

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
The daughter that is intolerant doesn't live at home any more.  We have discussed this, but as yet we are too trial it and see if it works.  She too, like you, is a little hesitant to try, so I don't push her.

Bella

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »
Hi Tea
I have just seen this thread, and have a comment....

My brother has been lactose intolerant most of his life, and as John said, as soon as he had some dairy, was very soon on the loo.  I have recently started milking two jerseys, and Geoff had a huge drink of milk one morning, and at 1pm realised that he hadn't had a sniff of his old problems. Yes, it's an anecdotal case, but perhaps there is something to the raw milk issue and intolerance. So much damage is done to the milk by pasteurisation, that it's on the cards that it does this too.  I have a fair bit of information on raw milk, so I'll check it out and report back.

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 03:04:57 AM »
Bella, that is most certainly the case.  The family that I get my raw milk from has been supplying milk to a family friend that is very lactose intolerant.  As long as he drinks the raw milk he can drink as much as he chooses!  Pretty amazing really when you think about it!   Just by heat treating the milk alone you can cause the human body to have a tough time with it.  Really makes you wonder about a lot of things!

Bella

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
Sorry this has taken a couple of days to get to – always lots of jobs to do on the farm!!!!

In my library, I have a copy of Ron Schmid’s book ‘The Untold Story of Milk’ and he has devoted a chapter to the topic of lactose intolerance. His position is that intolerance is largely an artifact of pasteurization, and there is a genetic link – peoples with dairy products as part of the culture have a genetic predisposition to tolerance of lactose.

I thought he had a website, but, while I didn’t spend a lot of time looking, it certainly didn’t come up in the first page of the google responses. Instead, I went to www.realmilk.com and did a search for ‘lactose intolerance’ and there were three pages of articles. This website it part of the Weston A Price Foundation, an organisation which promotes real foods, of which milk is one.

That should keep those interested busy for a bit!

saycheese

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:51:44 AM »
Thanks, Bella.  The Weston Price Foundation is the first place I read about raw milk not causing lactose intolerance the way pasteurized milk does.  It's interesting and more than anecdotal, it would seem.  I may test this out some day soon, as I really miss milk.

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
I don't know if I am lactose intolerant, but drinking store milk made me feel sick to my stomach and would even give me heartburn.  Once I was done nursing my daughter (15 years ago now), I quit drinking milk, other than occasionally having it on cereal.

A little over a year ago, I started buying raw milk in preparation for my cow freshening.  I could once again drink milk without any trouble at all.  I don't have the queasiness or heartburn anymore.  I tend to be a little "quick" as far as my intestines go and drinking raw milk seems to have slowed that down to a more normal pace.

From reading Ron Schmid's book, my understanding is that pasteurization kills off the enzyme lactase, which is necessary to digest lactose properly.  Many people don't produce that enzyme after infancy/childhood, so become lactose intolerant.

I apologize if I am repeating anything mentioned in the linked articles - I'm running a bit behind this morning, so haven't had a chance to read them yet.

Brian

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 02:42:41 AM »
Anybody ever try soy "milk" to make cheese?

I must admit, I'm not that interested as I am on the Bacon Cheeseburger Cheese we are discussing on another thread.........................
But it would be interesting to see if it could be done for the Vegans out there.

Brian

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
I remember wathing something on this on TV modern mavels or something. They said it can't be done, but that doesn't mean you can't find someway of doing it. Actually there are quite a few vegan cheeses out there they make to resemble mozz and flavored to taste as such.

goat lady

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:29:43 AM »
hi
thought i'd share this 16 years ago we lived on the family farm and drank raw milk when we moved and started buying store bought milk my son started having allergy problemihydes.wehi
thought i'd share this 16 years ago we lived on the family farm and drank raw milk when we moved and started buying store bought milk my son started having allergy problemihydes.we did allergy testing and found he was allergic to a preservitive in the milk{formaldehyde] with go did allergy testing and found he was allergic to a preservative in the milk{formaldehyde] with goat milk he s had no problem but any store bought cow milk product he suffers