Author Topic: De worming milking sheep  (Read 4243 times)

arifainchtein

De worming milking sheep
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:52:29 AM »
One of my lambs (east fresian sheep) has a high worm cpunt in her manure but i dont want to give her the chemical drench.  Does amybody knows other ways to combat a high work count?  I suspect there is a mineral deficiency as well, how much copper shouldbi give to the lamb?

linuxboy

Re: De worming milking sheep
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:26:26 AM »
What kind of worms? You have to break the lifecycle and increase overall immunity to naturally manage wormload. There are also natural wormers, but you have to know the type of parasite to target them herbally.

Oberhasli

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »
I thought copper was toxic for sheep?  I use an herbal wormer on my goats, but we don't have a big problem with worms here due to the dry area we are in.  I would look carefully on any wormer you administer to see what is safe for sheep.  Maybe your vet can recommend a wormer for the type of worms your sheep has.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
I thought copper was toxic for sheep? 
Only in high concentrations and when administered in fast release doses, like the copper sulfate. It is somewhat common to give copper oxide needles to sheep in deficient areas, like parts of Australia, but those needles are slow release.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:59:09 AM by linuxboy »

spalko

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
Avoid any copper at all costs.  Each animal has it's own tolerance level... why toy with it.
I've have seen 15 healthy ewes dead in 24 hrs because a grain mixer at a feed mill wasn't cleaned well enough after mixing another type of grain.  You don't want to go there.

Give .5 cc's of BoSe to lambs at birth if you are in a Selenium deficient area.  This is the most common mineral deficiency in sheep.  Make sure all sheep have free choice sheep minerals available at all times... notice... NOT just any mineral, but sheep mineral - you don't want just any mineral as most contain copper.

To combat parasite loads in the lactating ewes you need to evaluate your ration.
Make sure it is balanced, that they are getting at least 180 RFV alfalfa and/or a grain ration (preferably not pre-packaged as most contain antibiotics and/or decox) with yeast and selenium added.
This is if you are milking them twice daily.
If you are leaving lambs on you want to lower their input, which will lower milk production, but help lower the potential of mastitis also.

One thing folks need to understand about sheep and parasites... all sheep have them.
It's how they handle the load they have that you can help control.  A ewe with a higher plane of nutrition can better handle a higher parasite load.

As an aside... if you have barber poles you might want to consider something with moxidectin in it.  Barber poles can kill even a very healthy sheep very quickly.  Aside from that (and those are usually only a problem in mid-summer) you should be able to control parasites with nutrition.
Our philosophy is... if you can't control parasites with nutrition, get rid of that sheep!

Hope that helps.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »
Sheri, thank you for a wonderful post. As for the copper issue, I think it depends on the rate of release and the overall threshold per animal like you said, and also the dose as it relates to the total daily copper intake in all forms. It is very possible, for example, to give a 2-g copper oxide wire bolus to a lamb with no ill effects.

One good paper on this approach of using copper oxide wire pieces for parasite control is from LSU: http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-0709103-153221/unrestricted/Watkins_thesis.pdf

Easy to overdo it, though, have to know existing copper levels and existing daily intake.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:16:21 AM by linuxboy »

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:51:54 PM »
For worms in most livestock try here
http://fiascofarm.com/herbs/wormer.htm