Author Topic: Any mushroom experts out there  (Read 2969 times)

DETERMINED

Any mushroom experts out there
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
We have mushrooms growing out of everywhere after a wet spring, enough that you could fill the back of a truck in about half hour many times over.  Problem is I can't find a book with good clear descriptions of what is and what is not going to kill me.
Anybody know of a good trustable guidebook?

Cheese Head

Re: Any mushroom experts out there
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »
Nope, good question!

I'm also interested in picking wild mushrooms for cooking/eating and looked a few months ago for a good Mushroom Forum but all I could find were magic mushroom forums, maybe I should start one :).

DETERMINED

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
A forum might be a good idea, and then again maybe not.  Would you want to trust somebody a half a world away when they say yes you can eat that mushroom in your picture.
 Might have more faith in the folks you mentioned in your post, if they are still around that's proof they can identify which ones not to eat.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:00:37 AM »
I would try to hook up with someone in your area who is experienced. It's much easier (IMHO) to learn to identify different species by seeing them in person in their habitat. Maybe there is a local mycological society in your area.
There are also some good books that lay out a "key" to identification, starting with a spore print, and walking you through the choices until you have an ID.
We had a killer season this last late summer. Friends and I collected more Boletus and Chantrelles than I've ever seen in 30 years of hunting mushrooms in Colorado. Great fun! And wonderful to have in the winter.
Hope you find someone to teach you, it's a fun hobby.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »
When I began, two that were recommended to me were All the Rain Promises and More and Start Mushrooming (a true beginner's book that focuses on "the big 6" edible mushrooms).

I've always enjoyed the National Audubon Society's field guides.  Here's their mushrooming book.

That said, I'm sure I won't come off as preachy if I strongly recommend using a trained mycologist to accompany any gathering trip, at least to start, especially for anything other than really common shrooms - and even then, one can get tricked...our areas are loaded with lots of great, edible shrooms - but also some posers, e.g., from all but up close we've always got what look like nice chanterelles - except the gills aren't quite right (but can come off as close, if you're not used to it), they grew in clusters, and in more open patches (not in shaded woodlots).  Omphala (Jack O'Lanterns), not chanterelles, and they're toxic.  Word to the wise, and all that.
- Paul

DETERMINED

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 03:04:25 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful information. I just ordered a copy of  Start Mushrooming
I will try to keep it basic until I get a handle on what I am doing.  [I think I said the same thing about cheese]

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 05:34:25 AM »
The mushroom bible is "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora. It has so much information you will go crazy, but it has many color pictures that will help you identify some popular edibles like morels, chanterelles, and hedgehogs( my favorite). Still the best way is to go out with someone who knows the area and has collected before.

Tar

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:01:12 PM »
I have been  in mushrooms (colecting and growing) for manu yares, and I can tell you this hard rule: you have to lern mushrooms one by one, those that are edible. Not the other way around.
There are nice sites for American mushrooms. Two are here:
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/major_groups.html
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

DETERMINED

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:42:05 PM »
Wow I kind of got lost in the mushroomexpert site for a few hours, great material.
I would love to find somebody in our area that is  a mushroom expert, I have been trying to for years.
 Problem is we are in a somewhat low population area and the only folks I have found so far are too elderly to go anymore.
With that said I have one neighbour about 6 mile away that claims to know the basic edible mushrooms in our area, hope to have her over this spring for a picking/teaching session.
 Will let her pick all she wants in exchange for some knowledge.

Tar

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »
..... you have to lern mushrooms one by one, those that are edible. Not the other way around. ................
Sorry, I meant learn one at the time.

DETERMINED

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:05:37 PM »
Know prowl Belem spilling  knot importint,  spill cheque sees sew.
Just giving you a hard time  and yes spell check approved this post.
Thanks again for the information
Dave

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
You want to learn from an expert ,
Mushrooms are dangerous stuff which can cause tummy aches and vomiting, all the way to liver failure and the need of a transplant.  :o       I would feel really embareced when the doctor approachs me with :   "ah... so you decided to have some fun and pick some mushrooms ah?! your going to the bottom of the list then!"