Author Topic: Newbee attempting a Saint Agur  (Read 2304 times)

repran

Newbee attempting a Saint Agur
« on: December 31, 2010, 02:54:13 AM »
I started out with some Camenbert a few weeks back and it turned out great so I was hooked. The cheese that I really love is creamy Gorgonzola or Saint Agur so I thought I give that a try. My approach was a bit experimental but I thought what the heck and bought a wedge of Saint Agur and followed a Camenbert recipe but substituted the prescribed candidum with a bit of Saint Agur mold.

After two weeks it turned out to be a fully blue/white mold covered Camenbert.

Two questions:
How safe are they to eat? (I tried a bit today  ::) )

and

What is the best way to produce a cheese that approximates a Saint Agur?

Thanks! And happy new year everyone,

Stefan

dadzcats

Re: Newbee attempting a Saint Agur
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:43:33 AM »
Hi, Stefan,

I'm new myself so can't offer any advice but, that sounds like a successful experiment.  How did it turn out?  Were you brave enough to eat more of it?

Are you making something else now?  I am in the process of making my first Cam - hope mine is as successful as yours! :D

9mmruger

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
As long as you followed sanitary procedures adding the culture will not harm the cheese so it should be perfectly safe to eat.  Lot of folks create a culture from store bought cheeses.  Good job.

GlabrousD

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
Hiya All,

sorry to resurrect an old thread but it's the only result from a search for "Saint Agur" - my favourite blue.

Looking at the on-line information this is a Double Cream Cheese with no rind. Any suggestions how the blue marbling might be achieved on a cheese not left out to "air"? It has no obvious voids or cracks like a Stilton so I'm not sure how the blue develops without air.

For those of you who have yet to try St. Agur - give it a go - it's better than Fourme d'Ambert with a lovely creamy taste.

Cheers, GD.

LexDWeb

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
Hi There
It's been a long time since your post, so this may be in vain. But did you succeed in making a St Agur like cheese?  I've got a double cream blue in the wine fridge at the moment.

Frodage

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:38:48 AM »
I tasted a St Agur for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I can vouch that it's delicious. If my gorgo's taste half as good, I'll be pleased.