Author Topic: Interesting cheese cave idea  (Read 6697 times)

Erkki Juusto

Interesting cheese cave idea
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »
I thought this cheese cave idea was interesting.  See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/paulwheaton12

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Interesting cheese cave idea
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:05:27 AM »
Erik, I'm just going to "PaulWheaton12"'s youtube channel.  Did you have a specific video to watch?
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Here's the link to the cheese cave video:  http://www.youtube.com/paulwheaton12#p/u/0/QIxLw9t1IuA

Very interesting and much like what I've been thinking of doing with a corner of my basement that is naturally pretty cool anyway.  He doesn't say how he keeps the humidity levels up - I thought an air conditioner would draw most of the humidity out.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
Thanks, MrsKK - sorry, Erkki, I looked but obviously not close enough (that would include your name, apologies  :-[).  I'm also jealous!  I have seen this kind of setup elsewhere, but wondering, too, how one gets the humidity control?  Secondly, any issues with maintaining clean air, given the nature of AC filters, etc.?
- Paul

steampwr8

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
Watch the video closely. Looks like the heart er brains of the cave is the CoolBot controller.

I went to their site at http://www.storeitcold.com/index.php and watched the videos etc. First to solve the cleanliness issue you would use recirculated air, not "fresh" outside air.

Humidity in a large environment would be easier to control, just use a larger humidifier if the volume of cheese wasn't sufficient keep it at 80% =/-.

The room would have to be well insulated and have washable waterproof walls. I would be more afraid of the wrong molds, i.e. black mold growing.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
Watch the video closely. Looks like the heart er brains of the cave is the CoolBot controller.

I went to their site at http://www.storeitcold.com/index.php and watched the videos etc. First to solve the cleanliness issue you would use recirculated air, not "fresh" outside air.

Humidity in a large environment would be easier to control, just use a larger humidifier if the volume of cheese wasn't sufficient keep it at 80% =/-.

The room would have to be well insulated and have washable waterproof walls. I would be more afraid of the wrong molds, i.e. black mold growing.

Steam, it's the black mold I was wondering about, since in my experience, AC's especially are badly prone to this.  Not up enough on differential bacterial competition to know, but suspect that like most things, if nutrients are given to the right, and not the wrong, beasties, it can be controlled - even if it exists on the AC, for instance.  Right?
- Paul

steampwr8

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:13:51 PM »
You know what they say about Cleanliness.....

You would have to have a regular cleaning cycle where the AC wash disinfected with mild bleach or sanitizer.

Nothing is impossible, just one would have to be vigilant...couldn't plug it in and forget it.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
Reading more from the Coolbot website, very intrigued  by the idea; "Cool" indeed, very clever solution.  I understand a larger room means precipitous variances in humidity won't be as big a problem, but still wondering what mechanism exists to gain and maintain humidity at the high levels it needs for aging?
- Paul

steampwr8

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
I would venture to say that the challenge would be the same as in every other 'artificial cave'. Cooling is provided with some sort of condenser using a coolant.

If you have a hole in the ground or a cement lined basement that provides 'natural' radiant cooling you then just add the amount of humidity needed to get to aging levels 80%+. Not so hard as nothing other than natural precipitation on the walls or fixtures would take the levels down. And you wouldn't operate the cave at these saturation levels anyway.

It might be a little tougher, but one would use the same methods. A bigger humidifier or run the one that you have until levels are met. You just have to add it faster than the condenser of the AC can take the humidity out. A balancing act, but doable.

KosherBaker

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »
Hey guys. For whatever it may be worth. There are humidity controllers out there, just like temperature controllers that so many use on their fridges. Here's a link to one:
Humidity Controller

Also here's a link to a blog of one of the forum members, where he has a similar cave setup in his basement in Brooklin. The blog has lots of great cheese info too. The Cheese cave info is under the entry called "cheese cave".
Cheese Making Blog

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
Hey guys. For whatever it may be worth. There are humidity controllers out there, just like temperature controllers that so many use on their fridges. Here's a link to one:
Humidity Controller

Also here's a link to a blog of one of the forum members, where he has a similar cave setup in his basement in Brooklin. The blog has lots of great cheese info too. The Cheese cave info is under the entry called "cheese cave".
Cheese Making Blog

Thanks for the links, Kosher. I have seen some variations on the controllers within this range, and still thinking on some options myself, so appreciate it, really helpful.  Getting a reefer today, which is where I'm starting, but already thinking of a dedicated cold room, along these lines. 

Nice blog! - which member is this?  Interesting comment on the blog, about his
suspicions that the coolbot has "driven away the microorganisms":

My cave in Brooklyn seems to be rather sterile these days since I installed a Coolbot about a month ago.
Although the Coolbot keeps the cave at the desired temperature (56F) and the relative humidity is at 90%, I am afraid the constant air-movement created by the Coolbot has chased out all the microorganisms. At least, this is my guess.

Piques me to wonder, how much air movement is "too much?"
- Paul

KosherBaker

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 06:14:48 AM »
Nice blog! - which member is this?
I believe his name is Oude Kaas.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
Thanks, Rudy.

Paul
- Paul

Erkki Juusto

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:36:24 AM »
I've really enjoyed all the comments to the video.  Do you know if the Brooklyn site had the Coolbot of energy saving mode or running all the time?

Tobiasrer

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
To help control bacteria etc coupd you not have an air purifier? Some air conditioners andhumidifiers include this feature.