Author Topic: Thermometer tool  (Read 1365 times)

MrsKK

Thermometer tool
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
One day while making cheese, I also wanted to make a batch of yogurt.  My problem was that I only had one long-stemmed thermometer, but needed two.  My solution was to bend an "S" hook so that one end of it was crosswise to the other.  I also opened out one end of it so that the opening is large enough to hook over the edge of a kettle.

Here are a couple of photos.  I apologize for the quality, as I'm using a cheapo camera.  I hope the pics get the idea across.

The thermometer and altered S hook on my range top:

Putting the thermometer into the hook:

Thermometer hanging on the side of the kettle:

The thing I like about using this method is that I can put a lid on the kettle without having a big gap at the side.  The lid rests on top of the S hook easily.

Scarlet Runner

Re: Thermometer tool
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
that's a good idea.  In a pinch one day I used an old egg whisk and it worked great, but only if you have enough headroom on top of the milk to let it dangle. I may use your idea when my milk pot is full.  thanks!

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
That's a good one, too, Scarlet.  Do you mind if I use it as a demo for my students?  I like to give them ideas on how to use things they already own, rather than having to buy everything to get started with cheesemaking.  The simpler and cheaper, the better, IMHO.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
Yes, please feel free to share! How nice to have something to contribute, for once, however small.   :)

You could warn students that it can get a little top-heavy, especially if you load a large dial thermometer in there. So, use caution when reaching into the pot to stir or something- after knocking the thermometer into the pot once, I now steady it with one hand while I stir with the other. That issue could be better fixed by taping it in place or something like that, probably....

At the stove making Monterey Jack, Take II today.  So exciting! ;D ;D

KosherBaker

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:25:33 AM »
Another possibility would be to take that small thermometer and pierce it through the middle of that cup that is checking flocculation, and you have an instant float thermometer. Of course, you'd need another cup to test flocculation. :)
I have those 3oz cups that are very light and are very inexpensive, like 100 for $1.20, always around as I use them for germinating my seeds. :)

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
Ohhhh I LOVE IT. That is so good I can't believe it. I'm going to try that next make.  Thanks Kosher! ;D ;D ;D ;D

KosherBaker

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:54 AM »
Sure thing.