Author Topic: Fruits of my labor  (Read 6316 times)

wharris

Fruits of my labor
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:09:36 AM »
This picture makes me smile.

Tea

Re: Fruits of my labor
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »
And so it should.  I think my chest might swell a bit too it it were mine.
Well done.

I am trying to wait patiently for some more honey to arrived, as I have two 6 gallon and one 3 gallon batch that I am wanting to start.

Actually I like those straps, I think I am going to have to invest in a few of them too, and the cheese mould is not calling my name anymore, it is turned into a loud shriek.  sigh

chilipepper

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:20:17 PM »
Sweet!  How many carboys are there? At least four from the picture but looks like that may not be the whole lot!  That is a pretty good supply of shear goodness! 

wharris

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »
I have 7 carboys with young wine in them. 

I have 6 cases of wine left from 2007
I have 2 cases of wine left from 2006
I have 2 bottles left from 2005...

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »
Are those your babies? With the straps they looks like those baby slings for wearing your children on your chest.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »
Those straps are a lifesaver.   

saycheese

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:22:56 AM »
Wayne,

Where did you get the straps?  We just finished bottling a batch of beer and that sure would have been handy.

wharris

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
They are called a "The Brew Hauler".  I get mine from Leeners, but only because Leeners is local for me.   

I would recommend that you find a better deal for them online.

I have found that they are a life saver.  It is difficult and dangerous handling full/wet 6.5 gallon carboys.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
When I was wee lad I had come home from college and I was making mead in my dad's kitchen and I added the hot wort to the carboy before diluting it with cold water. I pulled the carboy from the top to lift it up and the bottom, from thermal shock, had cracked. 5 gallons of sticky mead all over his floor. I must have mopped 10 times and it was still sticky. It was a disaster.

saycheese

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Yow, Cartierusm!  Yeah, I'll bet that was a mess.  Wayne, thanks for the info and the links.  We'll try the local brew store first and then online if need be. 

wharris

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:57:45 AM »
Carter,  you are lucky that the only damage to you was a possibly a callous on your hands from mopping...  A carboy breaking is my wost fear.

Someday, i will move up to some SS fermentation tanks and oak barrels for aging. 

Although my glass is worth more these days....  Has anyone else noticed the jump in price for glass carboys?

Tea

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 05:01:21 AM »
That's because apparently one of the major Italian glass carboy supplier's has gone out of business.  Leaves only one or two other companies in the race.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:00:58 AM »
Interesting Tea. All my carboys say Made in Mexico on the bottom. I don't have to worry about carboys I've got a ton, way to many. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach. I almost bought a 100 liter SS jacketed vat a few years ago, but ended up not. I was being called upon to possibly be involved with Joe Montana's winery, but nothing ever came about it.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 03:45:11 AM »
When I was wee lad I had come home from college and I was making mead in my dad's kitchen and I added the hot wort to the carboy before diluting it with cold water. I pulled the carboy from the top to lift it up and the bottom, from thermal shock, had cracked. 5 gallons of sticky mead all over his floor. I must have mopped 10 times and it was still sticky. It was a disaster.

Oh GOD!!!  I can just imagine.  We've made mead too, but we keep it in the fermenter, and it's upside down and even then we've gotten it on our floor when we were bottling it (I actually enjoy that process), but to spill a WHOLE carboy???  Oh MAN!  You poor thing!  What a waste of the Gods' gift too!

Ya know, in Irish mythology, if you spill beer during your life, you will be lowered into the vat of all the beer you've spilt until you drink it all down, and then have to do it again and again, EXCEPT if you are a brewer.  I can just imagine what a hellish afterlife it will be for bud drinkers... hehe ;)

wharris

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 03:48:49 AM »
My father was a commercial beer brewer.  He died when he fell into a vat of beer. 
Whats worse is that i heard it was not a quick death, as he had to get out 3 times to pee.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:07:05 AM by Wayne Harris »