Author Topic: Chives, onion, parsley, etc  (Read 1579 times)

Zoey

Chives, onion, parsley, etc
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »

So I tasted this really wonderful goat milk gouda with herbs, and I really want to recreate it.
I looked at the ingredients list and it said it had chives, onions, garlic, parsey and nettle.

As it happens, I have dried nettle from our own garden, and the rest is quite readily available.

Now my question is, what do you think this all means?

- should I first dry all the herbs, including the onions and all?
- should I soak them, or just add dry herbs into my curds?

I've never made a cheese with herbs, so this is all quite strange for me.

Well, I don't have the goat milk, so I'll just have to see how close I can get with raw cow milk.

Cheese Head

Re: Chives, onion, parsley, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Sorry for late reply, with those either thin or soft flavourings I think you could add dried, and they will reconstitute. I've added harder died herns like caraway and dill and they didn't reconstitute much, so for those I think soaking or boiling first to mositen is best.

On fresh herbs, for thin ones I think you could add fresh but for thick moist ones like chives, onion and garlic I'd dry or at least partially dry. I added diced fresh green jalepeno's once and I think too moist for long term ripening.

Just my experience and gut feel, if you search on those key words you'll get some hits and probably other ideas. Also there are few herb/additive specific threads in the Ingredients - Other Board.