Author Topic: Skimmed Cow's Milk vs Store Bought Skim Cow's Milk & Cheese Yields  (Read 4811 times)

djdcpa01

In making Parmesan cheese I used two (2) gallons of skim milk and one packet of Thermophilic Starter Culture (which indicated on the package that it could handle 2 gallons of milk) and I was surprised to see how little cheese I got out of the whole process. I should have weighted my wheel but did not.. I would say approx 6" round and 2.5 - 3 " high. Same results for everyone else?

Also after initial heating of milk to 100 degrees and adding the culture do you shut off heat or leave it on and maintain the 100 degree temperature while it ripens?

Thinking of trying again and using one (1) gallon of milk to one packet of Thermophilic Starter Culture in hopes of getting more curds - any thoughts on this?

My daughter and I had fun making it!! Thanks.

linuxboy

Re: Skimmed Cow's Milk vs Store Bought Skim Cow's Milk & Cheese Yields
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
Did you use actual skim milk or skimmed milk? Because for parm, the milk should be about 2.2% fat - ie cream skimmed.

Your yield is about right. How much does it weight? Typical parm yield is 9%.

Jessica_H

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
I made a parm from about 1.5 gallons of milk and my end result is about 4.5" across and just under 2" high.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
My first parmesan was from a 2-gallon batch of skimmed milk (raw milk, cream ladle-skimmed off).  It was about the size of the one you made.

Less milk to the same amount of culture probably won't make any difference in yield.

djdcpa01

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »
After doing some research on Milk..... I think I should be using 2% Milk instead of Skim.. it may yield more cheese as the recipe calls for "Skim" milk with no more than 2.5% fat and "2%" Milk will fall in that range vs Skim which has approx .5% Fat. Any thoughts?

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »
Correct, as linuxboy says, for parms you should be using either farm skimmed milk or store bought 2% milk.

Info . . . our Wiki: Milk Yields article.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
A better way is to use whole milk and add non fat dry milk powder. This brings down the fat percentage, increases proteins, and significantly boosts your yield. I feel like this produces a much more flavorful cheese because you still have the original butterfat.

Buck47

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »
A better way is to use whole milk and add non fat dry milk powder. This brings down the fat percentage, increases proteins, and significantly boosts your yield. I feel like this produces a much more flavorful cheese because you still have the original butterfat.

Hey Sailor, 

Great suggestion, this is something I would like to try.

What ratio would you recommend ? How much dry milk powder per gallon of Fresh Raw milk?

This time of year the milk I use has aprox 3 pints or more cream per gallon.

Any special directions for mixing?

Just to confirm:  are you talking something like Carnation instant nonfat dry milk powder?

Regards: john

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:05:46 AM by Buck47 »