Author Topic: Buttermilk - Using As A Starter Culture  (Read 4100 times)

jsbyers

Buttermilk - Using As A Starter Culture
« on: December 28, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »
Hello
I am getting ready for my cheese making and have some of my stuff ordered.  I was reading on this forum that you could use cultured buttermilk from the store as a starater culture for cheese. Has anyone had any experience with that. I thought about making a batch with it while I'm waiting on my order to arrive.  Wonder about taste.  Any info?  :-\

wharris

Re: Buttermilk - Using As A Starter Culture
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
I tried that as well.  Set it out for 18 hours if i remember..

But when it came time to actually use it,  i chickened out and used a direct set Starter culture.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »
Wayne, would never have thought of you as chicken!

JohnnyB, yep I've used buttermilk as a simple Mesophilic Starter Culture on most of my cheeses to date who's recipes called for a Mesophilic Starter. Worked fine, only problem was that after several cheese makings with different recipes, they all tasted a bit the same, so I've now bought some manufactured cultures. I've posted all my records with it in the records section, just make sure you let it ripen long enough before using!

jsbyers

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »
Thanks
I think I'm gonna try it and make a neufchatel.  If I sit it out this morning I might be able to start it tonight. We'll see. 

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:07:19 PM by Cheese Head »

Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »
This cheese is almost exactly the same as the cream cheese recipe, except it omits the addition of cream.

Also I noted that Cheese Head notes not to rush the process as it need time to develop the flavours.  Well that is very true, but for those of us that live in the tropics, leaving this cheese for the required amount of time leads to the cheese being too ripe.  If you can keep your room temp at 20C or under you should be fine, but I am finding that I need to cut off a couple of hours in both the setting and hanging time, as temp here now rarely get under 26C.
Just my experiences.
BTW this is a great cheese to start with.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 07:57:52 PM »
Thanks Tea, I've just updated that recipe!