Author Topic: When to use raw milk...  (Read 2026 times)

cheesie

When to use raw milk...
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »
Hello to all,

I am picking up some fresh raw milk today and wanted to know if I can use it straight away to make mozza? It's still super warm when I get home so I thought maybe that would be the shot... should I let it rest first? If so what's the science behind that?

Many thanks!

Buck47

Re: When to use raw milk...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
Morning cheesie,

I use Raw Milk for all my cheese making. I let it sit for a min of 12 hours -24 hours to allow the cream to separate. This time of year should be easy to keep cool. Most of the bulk tanks around here run at 34-35F  -- Cold is good. Most farms are on a every other day pick up schedule so don't feel you need to use the milk today. Often milk sits at the farm for two days before it's picked up by the milk truck.

I use a ladle to skim off the cream. Still end up with some floating on the top at the start of cheese making.

One question I do have for you --- How long is it from the time you get the milk before you can cool it down?
You want to cool as fast as possible. That is important.

Good luck:  john

cheesie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
Morning cheesie,

I use Raw Milk for all my cheese making. I let it sit for a min of 12 hours -24 hours to allow the cream to separate. This time of year should be easy to keep cool. Most of the bulk tanks around here run at 34-35F  -- Cold is good. Most farms are on a every other day pick up schedule so don't feel you need to use the milk today. Often milk sits at the farm for two days before it's picked up by the milk truck.

I use a ladle to skim off the cream. Still end up with some floating on the top at the start of cheese making.

One question I do have for you --- How long is it from the time you get the milk before you can cool it down?
You want to cool as fast as possible. That is important.

Good luck:  john

Hi John,

Well I get my milk from a small piece of land here they milk their cows everyday, it's about five minutes from my house. I actually watch him milk the cows and then he gives me my milk in my glass container I get home and put it straight in the fridge. So 10-15 minutes tops from the time the milk leaves the udder to my fridge  ;D Now for making cheese do you remove the cream?? Because I thought it was great to have a lot of cream in your milk for cheese especially mozza which is what I am planning on making...

Buck47

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »
Your correct people do both. Try it both ways see what you like the best. Many pull the cream for butter or just to have the fresh cream. It works both ways.

Just having "Raw" milk will make a BIG difference.

May I suggest that you use a recipe only from someone who uses Raw milk?

Have read many instructions that say milk --- but not what type. Will save a lot of frustration.

Once again ... the best I have seen is from MrsKK. She has a two day make on her Moz.  And she's made a lot of it.  ;D

Regards: john

cheesie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
Hi John

Yes! I was looking at her recipe and I am going to try that one instead of the one in the forum.. I think it's going to be better for me to try that one so will start tomorrow since the milk men "cut" his milk to make cheese.... I got there too late... Bummer!

Shall see how this goes tomorrow! thanks for all your help!

tnsven

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:40:49 PM »
I don't know that your initial question was answered:

You can use the milk right from the cow to make cheese (although it is best if it was filtered first!) This is traditional and is what I prefer to do. I will often take milk from the previous night, skim the thickest cream off the top & save it for butter then warm it and add the warm milk from the morning's milking.

Traditionally, before refrigeration, the evening's milk was left to sit in a cooler place overnight. The cream would rise and the natural lactic bacteria would ripen the milk. Then that milk was skimmed (cream saved for butter) and the warm, morning milk was added. Since the evening milk was naturally cultured (from sitting for 12 hours over night), no culture was needed, just rennet, and cheesemaking would commence.

You can read some about this in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House in the Big Woods.

Happy cheese making!

Kristin

cheesie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
Hi Kristin

Yes, my question was if I could use the milk as soon as it came out of the udder to make the  cheese. Everyone has advice to let it sit overnight.. I haven't been buying raw milk that long but if I leave it in the fridge, naturally overnight, in the morning the cream indeed has risen... So when the cream rises I'll skim it and attempt my first mozza...

Thanks for your help :)

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »
As John (Buck47) says, you can use it right away to make your mozz.  Do try it both ways to see which you prefer.

Just don't let the milk get too old before you make your mozz - I tried it once with four day old milk and the curd just crumbled.  The milk was probably too acidic to start with.

Please let us know how your cheese turns out.