Author Topic: hi from the Urban Farmstead Singapore  (Read 2148 times)

Sing_cheese

hi from the Urban Farmstead Singapore
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
Hi all,

Have been watching this board and taking on advice for the last few months.  My daughter and I have been making lots of cheese (and lots of mistakes) learning the craft.  Tough thing to learn here in Singapore as we can't find anyone who has even heard of making their own Cheese. Will be posting both questions and logs of our cheese adventures.

Thanks,

Gerrit and Asya

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:06:06 PM by Sing_cheese »

Cheese Head

Re: hi from the Urban Farmstead Singapore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:43:44 PM »
Mornin Gerrit & Asya

Thanks for the link in your other post to your Urban Farmstead Cheese Adventures website (relinked here). Assume Asya is your daughter. You have a beautiful apartment and huge patio. My family and I used to live in Brunei for 5 years in late 90's and have been to Sing a couple times for tourism, (Sentosa Island, Zoo etc) and of course shopping. Great place. Congrats on huge cheese, yep big learning curve, especially when in tropics like Tea and Bundy in N Queensland and me in summer in Houston when similar temp & humidity to Brunei/Singapore ;D.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »
Welcome.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 05:39:12 PM »
Welcome! 

I am looking at your stockpots with more than a little envy.   

Can I ask what their capacities are?

Tea

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »
Good morning and welcome to the forum.  You look to be turning out cheese beautifully there, and have a great set up.
I hope you can share some of your experience, as you seem to have a wide variety of cheeses there.
Where are you getting your milk from?

Sing_cheese

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:02 AM »
Tea,

We get our raw milk from the one dairy farm left in SIngapore (I have been in Singapore for 20 years and did not know one existed in this small city state).  The farm has about 60 cows and about 30-35 milking at a time.  The milk is almost all destined for local Indian resturaunts in Singapore to make Paneer.  To our knowledge we are the only other people making cheese here.

Would like to use goats milk as well as there is a goat farm.  Ironically their are laws about raw goats milk and not cows milk.  Amusing but annoying. The Goat farmer can sell me high tmeo short hold pasturized goats milk (68C for 15 seconds) but I have not tried it yet as I have my raw cow's milk to work with.  Does anyone have any experience with working with pasturized goat's milk.  Would like to give it try.  My boy's are half greek and want me to make Feta, but I suspect cow's milk Feta will put them off from dad's cheese making altogether.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:15 PM »
Good morning Sing.  I have used pasturised goat milk before but only the store bought variety, and with little success.  I have had access to fresh goats milk though and that I have had much success with.  If what you have access to is fresh and pasturised I think it would be worth giving a try.  I have made fetta with both goat and cow, and with the addition of lipase in the cow, there is very little difference in flavour.
If you do a search on here for fetta, you should find my cheese records on both.
I have found that you need a little extra rennet to set goat milk, around .25 - .5ml per 10 ltr of milk.
Hope this helps.