Author Topic: Farmhouse Cheddar Flavor Problem  (Read 2726 times)

Caitedid

Farmhouse Cheddar Flavor Problem
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:42:41 AM »
Hello all!  Made a farmhouse cheddar at the beginning of November out of raw cows' milk from our dairy.  Followed Rikki Carroll's directions, waxed it and let it age.  Had a few spots that were forming an orange mold through holes in the wax, been cleaning them off with brine.  Finally took a taste today while I was preparing to re-wax it.  It was AWFUL!  Good creamy texture, good color, good smell.  Tasted really bitter and sour.  Took a second taste to make sure it wasn't just the rind or me freaking out.  Second taste was worse.  Ideas?

Re: Farmhouse Cheddar Flavor Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:30:35 AM »
Bitter and sour I would suggest it's too much Rennett.
One thing I notice. I bought from RK, found her dilutions and recipes to be 'off' compared to stuff bought from other sources.
Care to supply more information?

tananaBrian

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:42:33 AM »
Maybe Caitedid used double-strength rennet but measured it out as though it were single-strength?  Just a guess...

Brian

Caitedid

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
I did use double-strength, but I cut it by half.  Maybe I need to measure and mix the whole amount, then toss half?  It's really hard to be precise when you're at such small amounts.  The cheese smelled good and looked good, but tasted awful.  Going to try again today, with more attention to obsessive sanitation and measuring.  Thanks!

dttorun

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
You mentioned there were holes on the wax, was there any water dripping out of the holes as well? Was the wax stuck on the cheese or there was air pocket between them. If there are holes on the wax air goes in and moisture comes out of the skin continuously causing the cheese go dry, crumbly and tasteless. Even a small pin hole may cause your cheese go rancid.
Tan

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »
It is recommended that cheese be allowed to breathe for about an hour after being cut and prior to tasting it, as some gases that build up in the cheese can affect the flavor.

If it still tastes bad after that, you can try ageing it longer.  Vacuum sealing is a good option at this point if you have it available.

I had a cheese that I made in July of 2009, tasted it in November and was really disgusted with it, but couldn't quite bring myself to feed it to the chickens.  It was kind of sour and dry.  This cheese was in a ziploc baggie, as I didn't have my Seal-A-Meal yet.  I zipped the bag shut and tossed it in the veggie drawer of my spare fridge.  I forgot about it until just before Christmas this year (the cheese was about a year and a half old at this point).  I was looking for a sharp cheese to make cheese crackers with and decided to cut into this past reject.

The rind was fully covered with a soft blue mold but had a very thin rind on it that almost crackled when I cut into it.  The cheese inside was creamy and sharply flavored, very tasty.  No lingering bitterness or sourness to it at all.

Because it was in the refrigerator, this cheese probably took twice as long as normal to age, but I don't have a place to keep cheese at proper temperatures during the summer.  If you have a good cheese cave, just put your cheese away and try to forget about it for a few months.  You may be amazed at the difference.

zenith1

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »
Karen makes a good point. The aging temperature will greatly affect the length of time it takes a cheese to be at it's best. Could be the rennet or could be that it was aged in a refrigerator vegetable drawer. Most cheeses age the best around ~50 degrees. Drop that temperature to high 30's to low 40's(like most modern refrigerator temperatures)and you probably double the aging time. I would strip the wax off to see what you have underneath, air dry again and vacuum bag it. Then put it away for an extended time to age. What have you got to lose?

Caitedid

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
Sadly, I already took it out to the pigs.  This wasn't good bad like a taleggio or robiola, it was like something dead.  Did have a few pinholes in the wax, so wondering if that was part of the problem.  It has also been mentioned that because I bake a lot (plenty of yeast in the air) that I need to be even more impeccable with the sanitation.  Any chance that this was caused by yeastie beasties getting out of control?

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
Wild yeast is everywhere.  You can clean as best as possible, but yeast does get around.