Author Topic: Christmas Day - Cracked My 1st Stilton  (Read 1307 times)

9mmruger

Christmas Day - Cracked My 1st Stilton
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
I cracked my 1st Stilton on Christmas Day, and was extremely happy with the results.  I cracked three others and was extremely disappointed as they were dry and crumbly.

Back to the Stilton...

I used the recipe from the 200 cheese recipe book.  Made it in early August.  Here are some pictures.

First pix is fairly fresh out of the hoop.

Second is several days later.  Now I did not smooth the cheese out as I was nervous about doing it so I let it be.

The last two are from Christmas Day.

The cheese is delicious.  Creamy and melts in your mouth.  Such wonderful mouth feel.  My daughter and brother could not keep their hands off of it.  I ate lots too.  My wife does not like blue cheese, but said that it was better than it smelled.  Claimed it stunk up the house.  :)

I will be bringing some into the office next week for serving with venison sausage and trisket crackers.  Should go over well.

I have been cutting off the tan out rind, should I leave it on?  Is it edible?

Thanks all.

Cheese Head

Re: Christmas Day - Cracked My 1st Stilton
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
Well Merry Christmas and beautiful Stilton!

Personally I eat the rind, all part of the experience. I don't see any holes from piercing, did you do that?

9mmruger

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »
Hi John CH, yes I pierced it about a dozen times from top to bottom and then again from bottom to top.  I was surprised to see that there were no veining in the holes as well.  Fridge may have been too cool as I did not get my temp controller until mid November and it was 48 to 50 degrees from August til then.  Now it is at 55.

I did re-pierce it 4 times as well in the same holes.  Still no veining, but sure tastes good. 

From reading Sailors posts, I think I will leave the next one out of the fridge a bit longer to ensure good blue piercings.

Thanks for your reply.  Happy New Year to you.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
Mr Kim-that's a nice looking cheese. Makes me want to curl up in front of the fireplace with a nice large piece, a nice piece of sweet bread, and a glass of good port.

Brie

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:55 AM »
Great looking Stilton, Kim--congrats! Try piercing on the sides next time to ensure an even blue mold. Also, I usually uncover and let them breathe at room temp for 1/2 hour per week to allow the oxygen in.