Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 1366 times)

medomak

New to the forum
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »
Hello,

My name is David and I've been experimenting with cheese for about a year now.  I came to this through work.  I'm a camp director and I convinced the camp to buy a cow so that we could produce our own dairy for our participants.  This has been great and has enhanced our program on a bunch of levels.  Since we are a seasonal business, but our cow Perrywinkle doesn't lactate on our camp schedule, we've found ourselves with a constant flow of milk.  Rather than go to waste, I've resolved to take time from running the camp to making cheese.  My hope is to incorporate the cheese into our camp's programming.  Of course, I started off making the obligatory fresh cheeses and now I'm on to pressing the curds and just experimenting with ageing.  I've got lots of questions about drying/ageing.  I've also been recently obsessed with trying to figure out a cheap way to create a water bath cooking system that can easily and accurately adjust temperatures.  I'm having issues and left with questions about stirring curds (too much vs. not enough).   Anyhow, the more I learn about making cheese, the more questions I have and the more variables I notice that can affect the outcome.  This is all fascinating.  I'm glad I found this forum because I've had lots of questions and only a fair number of answers.  I'm hoping this is my new go-to place.  I look forward to some good discussions.

The details...
David B.
Fall/Winter/Spring in Clarksville, MD.
Summer in Washington, Maine.
Make my cheese from a Jersey cow named Perrywinkle.  She gives us a nice butterfat content of about 5.25%
So far have made Cheddar and cheddar curds, "American", a homemade Velveeta and various fresh cheeses. 

zenith1

Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum David,you and Periwinkle!

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:08:57 AM »
Great to have you aboard. Sounds like you have the perfect situation for cheesemaking. This forum is the absolute best place for ongoing education in cheese. Every day I am on here I learn. You can survey the various threads and really pick it up pretty quick. Use the search engine for certain questions or just ask and somebody will help I am sure. Great community to be apart of. Welcome aboard!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:33:36 AM »
Welcome aboard, David.  Your program sounds like not only you but a bunch of young people will also be getting some education along the way. Follow FarmerJD's advice and you'll get the answers you need to be successful. There are a number of members on this forum who own at least one cow and have been learning how best to utilize the milk. They might be good resources for charting your course.

Good luck. We look forward to seeing and reading about your progress.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Jessica_H

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »
I've got lots of questions about drying/ageing.  I've also been recently obsessed with trying to figure out a cheap way to create a water bath cooking system that can easily and accurately adjust temperatures.  I'm having issues and left with questions about stirring curds (too much vs. not enough).

Welcome and climb aboard my boat  ;D

I'm working and learning about the same things.  I think it's FASCINATING and the search function has been extremely helpful and the members of this forum are extremely helpful when you still have questions remaining!

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:41:08 PM »
Hello medomak, welcome and nice intro!

As others have said plus there is a power version of the Search Function in addition to the one at top right of the forum.

Nice pictures and info page on Perry.

FYI, a year and half ago a member Tea and then I made a tiny cheese called Gbejna from Island of Malta in Mediterranean that could be of use at your camp where many participants, summary post with links here.

medomak

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.  I look forward to the interactions and camaraderie.

dadzcats

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Hi, Dave,
I found this post with a search on "maintaining temperature"!  I'm right there with you!  I'm new to cheesemaking and every single step seems to bring a myriad of questions.  I'm just moments from starting my first Camembert and I'm obsessing about how to maintain 90 degrees for 90 mins.  So far, water bath in the sink seems the way to go but I'm scanning for a way to refine that and do what you're trying to do.  A thought I just had (not a water bath): I wonder how hot my crockpot gets on "warm".  I'll have to check the forum - I'm quite sure that one's been explored fully!

Good luck with it.  Let me know what you've found so far.  I'll share any info I find.

Periwinkle sounds like a lovely gal!  And...those kids are lucky to have you.  What a cool thing to learn at camp!