Author Topic: Vat - Stirring Devices  (Read 1546 times)

bobb

Vat - Stirring Devices
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:44 AM »
Today I made my 1st cheddar.  Has anyone created an inexpensive device to stir while cooking cheese for an hour in a the roaster without destroying the curd?  If the best is "Bobb + wooden spoon", I have that.  Next time I'll add a stool, but could use something motorized to get a break.

smilingcalico

Re: Vat - Stirring Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »

FarmerJD made one for his vat out of an electric ice cream maker stirrer. His pictures are on the forum somewhere, but typing this out on my phone with a poor connection, so you'll have to search for them if you're interested. Sorry.

bobb

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
Thanks, that has possibilities.  I've got an old one.  Also thinking about this BBQ spit motor that's not being used much.  Along with some pulleys, mixer beaters, and a leather shoestring to run the pulleys attached to the beaters.  Doesn't take much to get your brain going after stirring for an hour.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
The ice cream motor was really too fast. The spit motor is probably perfect. Shoot for the 1-4 rpm range. If you can  use DC power instead, then a windshield wiper motor or automatic car window motor will work. A variable resistor or rheostat is also nice. At our house before the stirrer it was me plus spoon plus everyone in the house. ;D